Old 14-02-2004, 03:32 PM
J Fortuna

Default Rare orchid grows under Kew's nose

"Reka" wrote in message
snip
"The biggest problem is that orchids can only be identified when they are
flowering - otherwise one green leaf looks pretty much like another," said
Dr David Roberts, Kew's orchid expert and the man who discovered their
oversight.

"When we received the plant as seeds it was incorrectly identified, so it
took us a while to get round to checking whether it was actually what we
were told it was."

snip

Reka,
Fascinating article! The two paragraphs above sort of tie to the discussion
we have been having in the "wild to cultivated" changes thread. I will post
a reference to your post of this article in that thread in a moment.
Thank you,
Joanna