Old 14-02-2004, 06:02 AM
Reka

Default Rare orchid grows under Kew's nose

Hard to miss a 6ft. tall plant...
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

By Mark Prigg, Evening Standard, Science Correspondent
They have spent years scouring exotic locations like Madagascar and Borneo
for new species of orchids.

However, Kew Gardens botanists admit their latest discovery was in one of
their own greenhouses.

The 6ft-high plant had been growing on a public information board in an
exhibit for 13 years without the experts realising it was a new species.

They have named it aeranthis virginalis, because its overlapping petals look
like a woman's crossed legs.

"The biggest problem is that orchids can only be identified when they are
flowering - otherwise one green leaf looks pretty much like another," said
Dr David Roberts, Kew's orchid expert and the man who discovered their
oversight.

"When we received the plant as seeds it was incorrectly identified, so it
took us a while to get round to checking whether it was actually what we
were told it was."

The new orchid, with large translucent green flowers, is now housed in Kew's
display. "We think we may have found more of them in Madagascar, so we know
where they come from now," said Dr Roberts.

---

Old 14-02-2004, 03:32 PM
J Fortuna

"Reka" wrote in message
snip
"The biggest problem is that orchids can only be identified when they are
flowering - otherwise one green leaf looks pretty much like another," said
Dr David Roberts, Kew's orchid expert and the man who discovered their
oversight.

"When we received the plant as seeds it was incorrectly identified, so it
took us a while to get round to checking whether it was actually what we
were told it was."

snip

Reka,
Fascinating article! The two paragraphs above sort of tie to the discussion
we have been having in the "wild to cultivated" changes thread. I will post
a reference to your post of this article in that thread in a moment.
Thank you,
Joanna

Old 14-02-2004, 10:32 PM
sneff

Oops Reka,

I completely missed your post and linked the same article below. I gotta cut
the 13 hr work days out.

'Tis a fascinating story all the same.

Best, Matthew.

"Reka" wrote in message