Old 15-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Kay Lancaster

Default Starting flower seed - differeint than veggies?

On 14 Feb 2004 16:21:06 -0800, Dave .... wrote:
Historically I have completely failed when trying to start flowers:
zennias, marigolds, petunias, snap dragons. I'm pretty good with
veggies. Is there anything different about starting flowers? Thanks
for any help.

Not really much difference, although many of the ones you mention like
warmer soil temps (70-75oF) than most veggies.
Snapdragon, try surface sowing, 70-75oF soil temp (so room temp is cool)
on the soil surface, barely covered with sand, 7-14 day germ.
Petunia needs similar conditions, but warmer soil temps, 75-80oF; marigold
about the same, and zinnia similar conditions, but plant a little deeper.