Old 15-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Dave ....

Default Starting flower seed - differeint than veggies?

Historically I have completely failed when trying to start flowers:
zennias, marigolds, petunias, snap dragons. I'm pretty good with
veggies. Is there anything different about starting flowers? Thanks
for any help.

Dave ....
Old 15-02-2004, 12:32 AM
WiGard

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:21:06 -0800, Dave .... wrote:

Historically I have completely failed when trying to start flowers:
zennias, marigolds, petunias, snap dragons. I'm pretty good with veggies.
Is there anything different about starting flowers? Thanks for any help.

Dave ....

Mistakes I've made in the past:

1. Too much water.
2. Too cold soil.
3. Wrong light.
4. Too deep.

Now I buy seeds from reputable sources, sow according to the instructions,
lightly water the soil, cover the flats with plastic wrap, set in a sunny
spot and wait. Soon seedlings begin to form and push through the soil.
When the second set of leaves is formed, I remove the plastic.

I've had good luck. Now I've gone overboard with overpriced lights and a
heat mat.

This gardening stuff is a disease.
Old 15-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Janice

On 14 Feb 2004 16:21:06 -0800, (Dave
.....) wrote:

Historically I have completely failed when trying to start flowers:
zennias, marigolds, petunias, snap dragons. I'm pretty good with
veggies. Is there anything different about starting flowers? Thanks
for any help.

Dave ....

How are you sowing them? Just scattering them about on soil? or are
you placing individual seeds into individual pots, or seed starting
systems?

I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing, but .. cutting newspaper into
strips slightly narrower than the height of the container you wanted
to use to start plants in. Make tubes of varying sizes based on how
big the seed is you wish to start, put the tubes in the container,
fill them with seed starting mix..getting the soil between the tubes
is fine, just fill them all about the same so they won't collapse some
of them. Jiggle the container or bounce it about a bit to settle the
soil, spray it with water from a spray bottle to get it well dampened
and sow your seed, cover it as instructed by the packets, or sowing
guides. Spray the soil in the container again to settle the soil
around the seed in order to eliminate air pockets and get the seed
dampened and soil dampened. You can loosely cover the container with
plastic wrap.. hold it up with straws inserted into the corners, Just
keep it from drying out.. spraying it with the squirt bottle.. set on
mist.

If your seed is fresh, they should mostly come up in a week or so.
Keep the seedlings under bright light. The florescent bulbs should be
kept around 2" above the growing point on the plants.. for the most
part. There are exceptions, but overall the lower light requiring
plants should be kept at the ends of the tubes and the light intensity
is lower there, If you don't have any low light requiring
plants/seedlings just rotate the plants from ends to middle and
sliding them back and forth to rotate them to keep the seedlings
stocky.

I used to raise every kind of seed I could lay hands on, more than I
needed but I as sowing them in a seed system that had grooves in a
plastic flat fit onto a standard flat, and before that, in rows in
potting soil in standard flats, and then I had to transplant and
transplant stuff. I gave away or threw away many seedlings,.

I recommend Le Jardin du Gourmet for cheap seed, sample packet size
which is great for things that don't keep well, like lettuce and
parsnips. They don't have every seed but most have several kinds to
choose from. Prices are 35 cents for sample

Good luck! Time for sleep..I'm sleep typing so sorry for any spelling
errors!

Janice

Old 15-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Kay Lancaster

On 14 Feb 2004 16:21:06 -0800, Dave .... wrote:
Historically I have completely failed when trying to start flowers:
zennias, marigolds, petunias, snap dragons. I'm pretty good with
veggies. Is there anything different about starting flowers? Thanks
for any help.

Not really much difference, although many of the ones you mention like
warmer soil temps (70-75oF) than most veggies.
Snapdragon, try surface sowing, 70-75oF soil temp (so room temp is cool)
on the soil surface, barely covered with sand, 7-14 day germ.
Petunia needs similar conditions, but warmer soil temps, 75-80oF; marigold
about the same, and zinnia similar conditions, but plant a little deeper.