Old 15-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Lee and Kath

Default Plants for containers

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:47:01 +0000, P wrote:

I hoped that the NG could help with this question. I want to put some
new plants in containers in my front garden. The garden is west facing
and can be exposed to strong, cold north winds. I would like plants
that are hardy and have colourful foliage, bark and flowers. I was
interested in Japanese Maples, but understand that these plants would
not my site, the cold winds for example.

Could anyone suggest any plants with similar attributes and that would
grow to a height of about1.5m?

Many thanks

Paul, Worcestershire, UK.

If you can provide shelter on the windward side for the Japanese maples you will be OK. Mine get
some exposure to North and east winds but I have a larger shrub on the North side and a an open
trellis on the east, with honeysuckle. You could also move the container in winter to a more
sheltered spot.
I also have a Japanese cherry - Kojo-no-mai which is well worth having.

Regards
Kath