Old 14-02-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Plants for containers

I hoped that the NG could help with this question. I want to put some
new plants in containers in my front garden. The garden is west facing
and can be exposed to strong, cold north winds. I would like plants
that are hardy and have colourful foliage, bark and flowers. I was
interested in Japanese Maples, but understand that these plants would
not my site, the cold winds for example.

Could anyone suggest any plants with similar attributes and that would
grow to a height of about1.5m?

Many thanks

Paul, Worcestershire, UK.
Old 15-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Lee and Kath

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:47:01 +0000, P wrote:

I hoped that the NG could help with this question. I want to put some
new plants in containers in my front garden. The garden is west facing
and can be exposed to strong, cold north winds. I would like plants
that are hardy and have colourful foliage, bark and flowers. I was
interested in Japanese Maples, but understand that these plants would
not my site, the cold winds for example.

Could anyone suggest any plants with similar attributes and that would
grow to a height of about1.5m?

Many thanks

Paul, Worcestershire, UK.

If you can provide shelter on the windward side for the Japanese maples you will be OK. Mine get
some exposure to North and east winds but I have a larger shrub on the North side and a an open
trellis on the east, with honeysuckle. You could also move the container in winter to a more
sheltered spot.
I also have a Japanese cherry - Kojo-no-mai which is well worth having.

Regards
Kath

Old 15-02-2004, 09:29 PM

If you can provide shelter on the windward side for the Japanese maples you will be OK. Mine get
some exposure to North and east winds but I have a larger shrub on the North side and a an open
trellis on the east, with honeysuckle. You could also move the container in winter to a more
sheltered spot.
I also have a Japanese cherry - Kojo-no-mai which is well worth having.

Regards
Kath

Hi Kath

Which variety of maple to you have? Has it grown successfuly in a
container?

Many thanks

Paul

Old 18-02-2004, 11:14 PM
Spider

Hi Paul,
You could get a maple-like effect with one of the cut-leaved elderberries
(Sambucus spp.). They are pretty hardy and would respond well to pruning.
The more hardy hebes would do well, as would Fuchsia magellanica spp.
Dogwoods (Cornus alba spp.) would be good for their bark(!) and drop their
leaves before winter when winds strengthen. Ilex and buxus should also be
wind-resistant, offer good structure and are clippable.
Most coastal plants would cope, so look at: Escallonia, Tamarix, Grisellina,
Rhamnus.
Heathland plants should work for you, such as: Ericas, Callunas (ericaceous
soil required); Rubus (if you've got room!), Ulex and Cytisus spp.,
Gaultherias and small-leaved Rhododendrons (both ericaceous).
For colourful underplanting, try: Erigeron alpinus and karvinskianus,
Armeria, Anenomes (Windflowers!), Saponaria ocymoides, small-scale bulbs,
alpine scabious and other alpine meadow plants. Select smaller forms of
plants (ie: viola rather than pansy) to avoid larger petals being ripped in
windy weather.
Avoid large-leaved plants which will be damaged in the wind, and are also
likely to create sufficient windage to blow pots over. Although many of the
alpine forms need light soil and good drainage, you will need to weight your
pots sufficiently so that they are stable.
Hope this is some help to you.
Spider

Old 22-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Lee and Kath

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:00:08 +0000, P wrote:

If you can provide shelter on the windward side for the Japanese maples you will be OK. Mine get
some exposure to North and east winds but I have a larger shrub on the North side and a an open
trellis on the east, with honeysuckle. You could also move the container in winter to a more
sheltered spot.
I also have a Japanese cherry - Kojo-no-mai which is well worth having.

Regards
Kath

Hi Kath

Which variety of maple to you have? Has it grown successfuly in a
container?

Dissectum atropurpureum. It has been around for at least 6 years (I forget just how long.)
I have not repotted yet, but done a top-dress of new ericaceous compost, and the very occasional
feed with Phostrogen acid-lovers fertilizer. It is in a 12" pot, and has grown well, if the usual
snails pace for these. Gorgeous in Autumn!

Kath