Old 15-02-2004, 11:15 PM
V_coerulea

Default cymbidium potting mix?

I get great results by mixing coir peat with sponge rock 2:1 and then mixing
that with an equal amount of small CHC. Throw in a handful of #3 charcoal, a
dusting of micronutrients and lime. You'll have to adjust your watering to
how much the coconut holds the water in your area. Here in SC I water 1-2
times/week in winter depending on the weather, and in the summer I water
every 1-3 days. I have miniatures and full-sized cyms as well as several
species. I've experimented with a lot of mixes (or than S/H) and found this
to work the best for me.
Gary

"Mark Blomeke" wrote in message
. ..
What would you recommend for a potting mix for south florida

(loxahatchee).
I only have one of these (cymbidium) now and keep having problems with

root
rot in a typical fir bark mix. I water the same as my cattleyas which
suffer no ill effects. I have cut my watering way back with my current

mix,
however does anyone have any suggestions in regards to mix or watering
schedule? I was under the impression that they needed as much water as
cattleyas. It is in a plastic pot now, should I go to a clay pot?

Thanx