Old 15-02-2004, 02:37 AM
Mark Blomeke

Default cymbidium potting mix?

What would you recommend for a potting mix for south florida (loxahatchee).
I only have one of these (cymbidium) now and keep having problems with root
rot in a typical fir bark mix. I water the same as my cattleyas which
suffer no ill effects. I have cut my watering way back with my current mix,
however does anyone have any suggestions in regards to mix or watering
schedule? I was under the impression that they needed as much water as
cattleyas. It is in a plastic pot now, should I go to a clay pot?

Thanx

Old 15-02-2004, 06:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 21:26:19 -0500, "Mark Blomeke"
wrote:

What would you recommend for a potting mix for south florida (loxahatchee).
I only have one of these (cymbidium) now and keep having problems with root
rot in a typical fir bark mix. I water the same as my cattleyas which
suffer no ill effects. I have cut my watering way back with my current mix,
however does anyone have any suggestions in regards to mix or watering
schedule? I was under the impression that they needed as much water as
cattleyas. It is in a plastic pot now, should I go to a clay pot?

Thanx

I will guess you are growing the Chinese Cym. that like it
warmer. So you need a Taller than normal pot. IF I were to grow
in mix it would be in a nursery pot that is at least twice as
tall as wide if not more.

I would rather grow in S/H. The cym. I have in S/H have grown
such strong roots they have broken 2 plastic pots in the last two
years. If you have not grown Semi-Hydro go to www.firstrays.com
and read about it. It works for many plants.
We have Phrag, Paphs, Cym. and Some Onc types in S/H.

Good Luck
SuE
Old 15-02-2004, 12:35 PM
Ray

This may sound self-serving due to my sales position, but have you
considered semi-hydroponics? I find that cyms do very well in that culture,
and even if you get your supplies elsewhere, it might be worth a try.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
. ..

Old 15-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Mark Blomeke

Thanks Ray, I will check out your site.

"Ray" wrote in message
This may sound self-serving due to my sales position, but have you
considered semi-hydroponics? I find that cyms do very well in that

culture,
and even if you get your supplies elsewhere, it might be worth a try.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 15-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Diana Kulaga

Mark,

Greetings from Port St. Lucie. I've got two Cyms, one, a warm growing
species in S/H and the other (which has a warm growing parent) in Spaghnum.
Both are doing fine.

Diana

Old 15-02-2004, 11:15 PM
V_coerulea

I get great results by mixing coir peat with sponge rock 2:1 and then mixing
that with an equal amount of small CHC. Throw in a handful of #3 charcoal, a
dusting of micronutrients and lime. You'll have to adjust your watering to
how much the coconut holds the water in your area. Here in SC I water 1-2
times/week in winter depending on the weather, and in the summer I water
every 1-3 days. I have miniatures and full-sized cyms as well as several
species. I've experimented with a lot of mixes (or than S/H) and found this
to work the best for me.
Gary

Old 18-02-2004, 09:36 PM
profpam

Hi, Mark,

In the California desert, outside Cymbidiums require water once a week
in the winter and two to three times in the summer. I grow many
varieties both outside and inside the greenhouse. Those with ensifolium
in their mixture can be grown under hot, humid conditions (temperature
in the greenhouse does not get below 55 degrees). These are warm
tolerant ones:

Cymbidium finlaysonium
Cymbidium Meglee
Cymbidium ensofolium
Cymbidium Golden Elf
Cymbidium aloifolium
Cymbidium sinense

Once again, I do not place them outside in the cold, and the sinense and
ensofolium species and mixtures are very reliable bloomers.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 19-02-2004, 06:32 AM
profpam

Yes, I forgot I have a Cym. madidum in the greenhouse. Also, Cymbidium
dayanum seems heat tolerant as well as eburneum and lancifolium. Kanran
and Goeringii are a bit touchy as well as erythrostylum, which does not
seem to do as well as it should in high temperatures; perhaps, it comes
from higher elevations in Viet Nam.