Old 18-02-2004, 08:05 PM
M K Rogerson

Default Vine Weevils

"Mike Crossland" wrote in message
Whilst checking my pots of Sempervivums, I found that quite a few of them
had lost their roots and looked very unhappy indeed. On closer inspection,

found two white grubs had burrowed into the centre of one rosette, and

worse
still, the soil in all four pots was infested with the blighters. This has
annoyed me greatly as I always use fresh, sterilised compost for my
plantings. No doubt the grubs must be the dreaded vine weevil, and I must

be
more vigilant. What is the best method of getting rid of them these days?

Mike Crossland

Bio Provado if you don't mind using chemicals. If that's not your cup of tea
you can buy nematodes which are parasitic on the grubs. Both methods are
effective but the nematodes need relatively high soil temperatures to work
so aren't much use before about April.

First time I've heard attacks on Semps reported, must go and check my
collection at the weekend.

Martin R