Old 18-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Mike Crossland

Default Vine Weevils

Whilst checking my pots of Sempervivums, I found that quite a few of them
had lost their roots and looked very unhappy indeed. On closer inspection, I
found two white grubs had burrowed into the centre of one rosette, and worse
still, the soil in all four pots was infested with the blighters. This has
annoyed me greatly as I always use fresh, sterilised compost for my
plantings. No doubt the grubs must be the dreaded vine weevil, and I must be
more vigilant. What is the best method of getting rid of them these days?

Mike Crossland

Old 18-02-2004, 07:57 PM
nambucca

"Mike Crossland" wrote in message
Whilst checking my pots of Sempervivums, I found that quite a few of them
had lost their roots and looked very unhappy indeed. On closer inspection,

found two white grubs had burrowed into the centre of one rosette, and

worse
still, the soil in all four pots was infested with the blighters. This has
annoyed me greatly as I always use fresh, sterilised compost for my
plantings. No doubt the grubs must be the dreaded vine weevil, and I must

be
more vigilant. What is the best method of getting rid of them these days?

Mike Crossland

Squash every single one of the blighters then water everything with a

soluytion of Armillotox every 10 days
This will deal with things

Old 18-02-2004, 08:05 PM
M K Rogerson

"Mike Crossland" wrote in message
Whilst checking my pots of Sempervivums, I found that quite a few of them
had lost their roots and looked very unhappy indeed. On closer inspection,

found two white grubs had burrowed into the centre of one rosette, and

worse
still, the soil in all four pots was infested with the blighters. This has
annoyed me greatly as I always use fresh, sterilised compost for my
plantings. No doubt the grubs must be the dreaded vine weevil, and I must

be
more vigilant. What is the best method of getting rid of them these days?

Mike Crossland

Bio Provado if you don't mind using chemicals. If that's not your cup of tea
you can buy nematodes which are parasitic on the grubs. Both methods are
effective but the nematodes need relatively high soil temperatures to work
so aren't much use before about April.

First time I've heard attacks on Semps reported, must go and check my
collection at the weekend.

Martin R

Old 18-02-2004, 11:33 PM
David Hill

Well if you have a friendly robin, they will eat 20 or more if you just put
the grubs into a shallow dish for them.
A good form of recycling.
As for semps .they love them

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Vine Weevils? WRabbit United Kingdom 22 29-04-2005 07:30 AM
Vine weevils - can they fly? Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 6 18-05-2004 07:26 PM
Vine weevils and garden chafer larvae danread United Kingdom 4 27-10-2003 09:00 AM
vine weevils, again ! Kate Morgan United Kingdom 1 19-10-2002 10:27 AM