Old 18-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default cymbidium potting mix?

Thanks for that list, Pam! Add one mo

Cym. madidum

DK

"profpam" wrote in message ...
Hi, Mark,

In the California desert, outside Cymbidiums require water once a week
in the winter and two to three times in the summer. I grow many
varieties both outside and inside the greenhouse. Those with ensifolium
in their mixture can be grown under hot, humid conditions (temperature
in the greenhouse does not get below 55 degrees). These are warm
tolerant ones:

Cymbidium finlaysonium
Cymbidium Meglee
Cymbidium ensofolium
Cymbidium Golden Elf
Cymbidium aloifolium
Cymbidium sinense

Once again, I do not place them outside in the cold, and the sinense and
ensofolium species and mixtures are very reliable bloomers.

. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Mark Blomeke wrote:

What would you recommend for a potting mix for south florida

(loxahatchee).
I only have one of these (cymbidium) now and keep having problems with

root
rot in a typical fir bark mix. I water the same as my cattleyas which
suffer no ill effects. I have cut my watering way back with my current

mix,
however does anyone have any suggestions in regards to mix or watering
schedule? I was under the impression that they needed as much water as
cattleyas. It is in a plastic pot now, should I go to a clay pot?

Thanx