Old 22-02-2004, 02:42 PM
J. Del Col

Default Can I grow orchid Cymbidium in an office without window?

(Frank) wrote in message . com...
Dear Experts,

I just bought a 6" orchid cymbidium in HD. It looks lovely with 3
stalks of buds! I put it in my office on top of the pebble tray. I
guess this takes care of the humidity issue. My office temperature is
constant at 65F but I can adjust if necessary. My office does not have
a window but I will have the lights on for about 10 hours for
weekdays. I plan to feed it with MicroGro Azalea Camellia... food
every other week, 1 tsp per gallon concentration.

Are all the above humidity + temperature + light + feed condition good
enough for cymbidium to happily flower in my office?

No.

Cymbidiums require much more light than you can provide.

Water it, but forget about feeding it until you can get it outside
after it finishes blooming. Then use fertilizer especially formulated
for orchids.

It might struggle along for a while under your conditions, but it will
neither thrive nor re-bloom.

J. Del Col