Old 17-02-2004, 05:32 AM
Frank

Default Can I grow orchid Cymbidium in an office without window?

Dear Experts,

I just bought a 6" orchid cymbidium in HD. It looks lovely with 3
stalks of buds! I put it in my office on top of the pebble tray. I
guess this takes care of the humidity issue. My office temperature is
constant at 65F but I can adjust if necessary. My office does not have
a window but I will have the lights on for about 10 hours for
weekdays. I plan to feed it with MicroGro Azalea Camellia... food
every other week, 1 tsp per gallon concentration.

Are all the above humidity + temperature + light + feed condition good
enough for cymbidium to happily flower in my office? This is my first
year to gardening. Very anxious and excited!

Thanks for any advice!

Tiff
Old 17-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Dewitt" wrote in message
On 16 Feb 2004 21:19:03 -0800, (Frank) wrote:

just bought a 6" orchid cymbidium in HD. It looks lovely with 3
stalks of buds! I put it in my office on top of the pebble tray. I
guess this takes care of the humidity issue. My office temperature is
constant at 65F but I can adjust if necessary. My office does not have
a window but I will have the lights on for about 10 hours for
weekdays. I plan to feed it with MicroGro Azalea Camellia... food
every other week, 1 tsp per gallon concentration.

Are all the above humidity + temperature + light + feed condition good
enough for cymbidium to happily flower in my office? This is my first
year to gardening. Very anxious and excited!

Enjoy it in your office while it's in bloom, but it will need much
more light to grow and rebloom again.

Don't allow the bottom of the pot to remain in contact with water in the
saucer - make sure the pebbles are deep enough to prevent this. I'd mist
the foliage (avoid the blossoms) daily also - that environment is just too
dry for it and might also be a bit on the cool side. Get a good orchid
fertilizer instead of making do with the Miracid and follow the label
directions.

I'd consider it a just a long lasting cut flower - cymbidiums are unlikley
to thrive in that environment and are difficult to get to rebloom.

pam - gardengal

Old 17-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Marion Margoshes

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"Dewitt" wrote in message
[...]

I put my cymbidium outside, not planning to take it in anymore (Zone 6).

After two frosts, my gardener took it in and it is now in full boom!!!! I
know that they like cold weather , but frosts??? However, I am enjoying it.
Marion

Old 17-02-2004, 06:19 PM
Pen

Some cymbidiums can do well in low light, if it seems to be fading,
take it home and get an oncidium for your office. Those things grow
like weeds. I have a 'Sharry Baby' that sits several feet from a
north window, often unwatered and still gives me an annual spray of
chocolate scented flowers.
Old 19-02-2004, 01:08 AM

light frost, not hard freezes helps it set buds. Ingrid

"Marion Margoshes" wrote:
I put my cymbidium outside, not planning to take it in anymore (Zone 6).

After two frosts, my gardener took it in and it is now in full boom!!!! I
know that they like cold weather , but frosts??? However, I am enjoying it.
Marion

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com