Old 23-02-2004, 02:05 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Mythbusters and goldfish myth

"Ka30P" wrote in message

One of our very favorite programs is Mythbusters on the
Discovery Channel.

Tonight one of the myth they worked on was that goldfish have a three

second
memory.
"Oh boy, fishfood!"
"Wait, I hate fishfood!"
"Oh boy, fishfood!"

They used a large tank and attempted to train the fish to go through a

maze to
find the food. Not surprisingly, to us at least, the fish were able to go
through a series of orange highlighted holes set in plexiglass to find the

food
presented in an orange highlighted receptacle at the end of the course.

Our own experience is that fish, having not been fed all winter will come

the surface begging to be fed on the first nice day in the spring when the
ponder wanders out to see how everyone is.
Or that after an attack by a heron or kingfisher the fish will be very

skittish
for days before settling back down again.

If you haven't seen it you ought to try it. The two hosts remind
me of some of our regulars, past and present. The setting the surface of

the
pond on fire thread comes to mind... or the bug zapper set on stun.

Truely, one of the best programs on television, today.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com