Old 23-02-2004, 05:44 AM
Ka30P

Default Mythbusters and goldfish myth

One of our very favorite programs is Mythbusters on the
Discovery Channel.

Tonight one of the myth they worked on was that goldfish have a three second
memory.
"Oh boy, fishfood!"
"Wait, I hate fishfood!"
"Oh boy, fishfood!"

They used a large tank and attempted to train the fish to go through a maze to
find the food. Not surprisingly, to us at least, the fish were able to go
through a series of orange highlighted holes set in plexiglass to find the food
presented in an orange highlighted receptacle at the end of the course.

Our own experience is that fish, having not been fed all winter will come to
the surface begging to be fed on the first nice day in the spring when the
ponder wanders out to see how everyone is.
Or that after an attack by a heron or kingfisher the fish will be very skittish
for days before settling back down again.

If you haven't seen it you ought to try it. The two hosts remind
me of some of our regulars, past and present. The setting the surface of the
pond on fire thread comes to mind... or the bug zapper set on stun.

kathy :-)
Old 23-02-2004, 02:05 PM
BenignVanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message

[...]

Truely, one of the best programs on television, today.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 23-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Mike Patterson

On 23 Feb 2004 05:38:28 GMT, EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote:

[...]

Hey, just wait till the weather improves, I'm still gonna set the pond
on fire...or something. :-)

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Old 24-02-2004, 07:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

One of our very favorite programs is Mythbusters on the
Discovery Channel.

Tonight one of the myth they worked on was that goldfish have a three second
memory.
"Oh boy, fishfood!"
"Wait, I hate fishfood!"
"Oh boy, fishfood!"
snip
If you haven't seen it you ought to try it. The two hosts remind
me of some of our regulars, past and present. The setting the surface of the
pond on fire thread comes to mind... or the bug zapper set on stun.
kathy :-)

For a minute there I was thinking they reminded you of many ponders:

Oh boy, let's dig another pond!
Wait, I don't have the time (or money, or muscle) to dig/maintain
another...
Oh boy, let's dig another pond!

Now I'm thinking the fish are smarter than we are. ~ jan
~ jan

Old 24-02-2004, 03:25 PM
BenignVanilla

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
One of our very favorite programs is Mythbusters on the
Discovery Channel.

Tonight one of the myth they worked on was that goldfish have a three

second
memory.
"Oh boy, fishfood!"
"Wait, I hate fishfood!"
"Oh boy, fishfood!"

snip

I just caught this episode last night. What a great episode!

BV.