Old 25-02-2004, 03:42 AM
Tanya

Default what to do with long roots

hi Diana,
i wasn't specific the roots being aerial in the original post -- sorry
and your advice is the same as the orchid book i have, and others here etc...
since i have never seen a phalaenopsis rootBall (only a few healthy roots 10
max) i am planning for the same situation (several roots only) which is why i
am trying to plan ahead (assuming several roots)
if i come across a healthy rootBall -- i won't be as concerned cutting
roots
thanks for replying
sincerely
Tanya

Diana Kulaga wrote:

I gave some advice that was based on my perception of the situation, which
may have been wrong. If the roots are aerial, then I would leave them
alone. But if the root ball is huge in the pot and the plant is small, I
have had good luck with pruning them back a bit. Of course, we're talking
about Phals, and that makes a difference, but still, I prune. My Catts, I
trim back substantially to repot, and have had excellent results. They
branch, and I get better root mass overall by doing that.

Still, have to defer to those who have grown much longer than I.

Diana

"Tanya" wrote in message
thanks for the advice
[...below...]

Kenni Judd wrote:

I am assuming these 1+' roots are aerial. If so, why not just leave

them
that way -- i.e., don't bury them when you repot?

yes they are aerial roots... i could leave them out happily
thanks,
sincerely
Tanya

--