Old 24-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default what to do with long roots

Right you are, Sue!

Diana

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:37:41 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

I gave some advice that was based on my perception of the situation,

which
may have been wrong. If the roots are aerial, then I would leave them
alone. But if the root ball is huge in the pot and the plant is small, I
have had good luck with pruning them back a bit. Of course, we're

talking
about Phals, and that makes a difference, but still, I prune. My Catts,

trim back substantially to repot, and have had excellent results. They
branch, and I get better root mass overall by doing that.

Still, have to defer to those who have grown much longer than I.

Diana

Your growing in a more natural climate than I am. It could be
the combination of fresh air / humidity / climate that makes it
possible. Glad you can do it. This is one of those cases. Where
it fits it works, where the weather or artificial conditions get
in the way... ask local advise.
SuE

Old 25-02-2004, 03:42 AM
Tanya

hi Diana,
i wasn't specific the roots being aerial in the original post -- sorry
and your advice is the same as the orchid book i have, and others here etc...
since i have never seen a phalaenopsis rootBall (only a few healthy roots 10
max) i am planning for the same situation (several roots only) which is why i
am trying to plan ahead (assuming several roots)
if i come across a healthy rootBall -- i won't be as concerned cutting
roots
thanks for replying
sincerely
Tanya

Diana Kulaga wrote:

I gave some advice that was based on my perception of the situation, which
may have been wrong. If the roots are aerial, then I would leave them
alone. But if the root ball is huge in the pot and the plant is small, I
have had good luck with pruning them back a bit. Of course, we're talking
about Phals, and that makes a difference, but still, I prune. My Catts, I
trim back substantially to repot, and have had excellent results. They
branch, and I get better root mass overall by doing that.

Still, have to defer to those who have grown much longer than I.

Diana

"Tanya" wrote in message
thanks for the advice
[...below...]

Kenni Judd wrote:

I am assuming these 1+' roots are aerial. If so, why not just leave

them
that way -- i.e., don't bury them when you repot?

yes they are aerial roots... i could leave them out happily
thanks,
sincerely
Tanya

--