Old 25-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Kay Easton

Default Indoor plants - artificial light only

In article , Neil Jones
writes

"John" wrote in message
We have a nice little plant in the corridor in our office. No idea

what
it is - sort of a miniature tree, looks to have citrus-like leaves.

It has just been moved to the corridor: it will only ever get

artificial
light, 10 hours a day, five days a week, where it is. (It's not my
plant by the way.)

Is it going to perish? Or will artificial light suffice for some

plants?

John

As I understand it, fluorescent tubes (which you are likely to have in
your office) have a pretty good spectrum of light frequencies. If so, I
should think your plant will be OK.

But, if it is getting a constant 10 hours light per day, every day of
the year, then any photoperiodic response in the plant will probably not
be triggered. It depends on the particular plant, of course, but this
could include flowering and subsequent fruit production, etc.

Sounds like Ficus benjamina. They will tolerate a lot, as long as
they're not moved around or put in draughts. It will probably cope,
which is why it's one of the most frequently used plants for indoor
decoration.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: