Old 26-02-2004, 08:17 PM
D Russell

Default Parsnips

"John Towill" wrote in message
. ..

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 22:51:32 +0000, shazzbat wrote:
I have had a very low success rate with parsnips, they just don't show.

I too would like info on this issue - I'd love to grow parsnips - my
results over 2 years trying have been 1 parsnip!!!

My FIL has recommeneded very fresh seed, and soaking for 24hrs before
sowing - but that got me nowhere!

I'm contemplating pot sowing indoors in an effort to get the B*ggers to
germinate and then plant outdoors. It could well be my heavy damp high
clay content welsh soil affecting the germination.

I grew parsnips (Gladiator from Suttons), very successful, we are still
eating them! Though the first ones were much longer, the second sowing
short and very fat with a tendency to fork, I think that was because the
soil was not as deep.
Mind you it may have been beginners luck, as the year before my Brussels
Sprouts were excellent, this year a poorer crop and a lack of hardness.

Cheers
John T

--
If emailing direct please remove
wet from towill.

I read somewhere that Sprouts only form up a decent heart if the soil they
are in is firm enough.
Duncan