Old 26-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Frogleg

Default Indoor plants - artificial light only

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:16:33 +0000, John wrote:

We have a nice little plant in the corridor in our office. No idea what
it is - sort of a miniature tree, looks to have citrus-like leaves.

It has just been moved to the corridor: it will only ever get artificial
light, 10 hours a day, five days a week, where it is. (It's not my
plant by the way.)

Is it going to perish? Or will artificial light suffice for some plants?

Artificial lights will support some plants. If this is a Ficus
benjamina, which sounds likely, it will very probably suffer dramatic
leaf loss. Ficuses (Fici?) *hate* to be moved. If the new situation is
appropriate, the leaves will regrow.

Fluorescent lights several feet overhead are *not* ideal lighting for
most plants. Many thriving specimens seen in offices are the product
of services that nurture plants in ideal situations and then sort of
'loan' them for a couple of months before retrieving and nourishing
again. A plant that's in the dark (more than) 28% of a normal week is
not going to be happy. Watch and report back. :-)