Old 27-02-2004, 11:24 PM
Tweed

Default Spring Planting Garlic

Hi All,
I just read a website about onions and garlic.
On it it says Garlic should not be planted in the spring because the garlic
needs 2-3 months of temps below 0c (32f) in order to initiate bulbing . It
also says "bulb formation occurs in response to the lengthening days of
spring and maturity are considerably hastened if temperatures are high."
The site was a US one so I am asking about garlic here in the UK.

So my question now is this:
Is it to late to plant the garlic? If I do it now when do I expect mature
bulbs. Do Spring planting make for Autumn bulbs of good size or should I
just scrap this years and start in the fall for next year?

Thanks a Bunch.:-)
Julie
N.Ire