Old 27-02-2004, 11:24 PM
Tweed

Default Spring Planting Garlic

Hi All,
I just read a website about onions and garlic.
On it it says Garlic should not be planted in the spring because the garlic
needs 2-3 months of temps below 0c (32f) in order to initiate bulbing . It
also says "bulb formation occurs in response to the lengthening days of
spring and maturity are considerably hastened if temperatures are high."
The site was a US one so I am asking about garlic here in the UK.

So my question now is this:
Is it to late to plant the garlic? If I do it now when do I expect mature
bulbs. Do Spring planting make for Autumn bulbs of good size or should I
just scrap this years and start in the fall for next year?

Thanks a Bunch.:-)
Julie
N.Ire

Old 28-02-2004, 07:13 PM
ajr

"Tweed" wrote in message
Hi All,
I just read a website about onions and garlic.
On it it says Garlic should not be planted in the spring because the

garlic
needs 2-3 months of temps below 0c (32f) in order to initiate bulbing . It
also says "bulb formation occurs in response to the lengthening days of
spring and maturity are considerably hastened if temperatures are high."
The site was a US one so I am asking about garlic here in the UK.

So my question now is this:
Is it to late to plant the garlic? If I do it now when do I expect mature
bulbs. Do Spring planting make for Autumn bulbs of good size or should I
just scrap this years and start in the fall for next year?

Thanks a Bunch.:-)
Julie
N.Ire

Tweed,

I'm not an expert on the subject, by any strech of the imagination! -
however I have been told the following from different sources.

1. From an elderly friend of my Mum, I was told to plant garlic on the
shortest day of the year ie: December 21 (?). This I did and they are
growing quite well.

2. In one of my gardening books, by Dr Hessayon (?), it states that garlic
should be planted in March (ie: after any frosts) - however if it was
planted earlier, then plant extra bulbs where there are gaps - the bulbs
should be 6 inches apart from each other.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Andrew

Old 28-02-2004, 11:21 PM
J Jackson

ajr wrote:

: I'm not an expert on the subject, by any strech of the imagination! -
: however I have been told the following from different sources.

: 1. From an elderly friend of my Mum, I was told to plant garlic on the
: shortest day of the year ie: December 21 (?). This I did and they are
: growing quite well.

Much common advice is to plant in the autumn - October - or probably
November now. Remember when October was considered Autumn?

: 2. In one of my gardening books, by Dr Hessayon (?), it states that garlic
: should be planted in March (ie: after any frosts) - however if it was
: planted earlier, then plant extra bulbs where there are gaps - the bulbs
: should be 6 inches apart from each other.

Why after frosts? Garlic is as hardy as old boots.

see this site for some advice

http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/garlicgrow.html

or

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_...l_3_garlic.asp

Old 29-02-2004, 01:14 AM
Ted Richardson

"J Jackson" wrote in message
: ajr wrote:
:
: : I'm not an expert on the subject, by any strech of the imagination! -
: : however I have been told the following from different sources.
:
: : 1. From an elderly friend of my Mum, I was told to plant garlic on the
: : shortest day of the year ie: December 21 (?). This I did and they are
: : growing quite well.

My Dad, who was an old gardener, told me, when I was a kid, in the 1930's,
that you should plant shallots on the shortest day, and lift them on the
longest day.
He never grew garlic it wasn't very popular, in England, in those days.

TedR

Old 29-02-2004, 03:22 AM
ajr

"J Jackson" wrote in message
ajr wrote:

[...]

Why?

Because that is what it says in the book that I was referring to!

It was a Dr Hessayon publication, as it turns out.

Old 29-02-2004, 03:31 AM
ajr

"Ted Richardson" wrote in message

"J Jackson" wrote in message
: ajr wrote:
:
: : I'm not an expert on the subject, by any strech of the imagination! -
: : however I have been told the following from different sources.
:
: : 1. From an elderly friend of my Mum, I was told to plant garlic on

the
: : shortest day of the year ie: December 21 (?). This I did and they are
: : growing quite well.

My Dad, who was an old gardener, told me, when I was a kid, in the 1930's,
that you should plant shallots on the shortest day, and lift them on the
longest day.
He never grew garlic it wasn't very popular, in England, in those days.

TedR

Ted,

That was it!

Although why these particular days I don't know - old wife's tales!?

All the best.

Cheers,

Andrew

Old 02-03-2004, 11:29 PM
J Jackson

ajr wrote:
: see this site for some advice
:
: http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/garlicgrow.html
:
: or
:
:
: http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_...l_3_garlic.asp

: Why?

: Because that is what it says in the book that I was referring to!

: It was a Dr Hessayon publication, as it turns out.

I was questioning why he should be offering that advice?

Not everything you read is true you know :-)

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
storing garlic for next planting season? len gardener Australia 4 04-12-2004 12:00 PM
Planting garlic with roses cross United Kingdom 2 09-05-2004 12:09 PM
garlic planting tom hooper Edible Gardening 3 23-10-2003 11:22 PM
Garlic planting Judy Rigby United Kingdom 8 31-03-2003 11:44 PM