Old 28-02-2004, 04:12 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default "Evergreen" Pulmonaria not truly evergreen in warm latitudes?

"LanscpHort" wrote in message
This page
http://hardyplants.com/Pulmonar.htm [Apple Valley MN]
says following are evergreen, but how evergreen? Do the leaves look ugly

for
a couple months (in October?)

P. rubra "Red Lungwort" [snip]Plants form scattered clumps with some what
evergreen unspotted leaves.[snip]
VAR. Albocorollata syn. Alba = has white flowers[snip]

P. saccharata "Bethlehem Sage" The most commonly grown lungwort with more

or
less evergreen leaves[snip]
'Mrs. Moon' = large leaves and pink buds and flowers turning to blue.
'Janet Fisk' = has large very nicely spotted leaves and lavender pink
flowers.
'Sissinghurst White' = has white flowers[snip]

P. saccharata is the species that is most likely considered to be evergreen
but I don't consider any pulmonarias to be truly evergreen, certainly not
like a hellebore or euphorbia. I grow P. saccharata 'Sissinghurst White'
and by November or so, the foliage looks pretty ratty and I cut it back. In
most seasons they will respond by producing a hint of new foliage, but no
active growth and no full development of new leaves until spring. How they
may perform in warmer winter situations I can't say.

btw, here it is the end of February and my Sisiinghurst White is in full
flower with leaves elongating as we speak. These are excellent early season
plants for the shady garden. Just brought in 'Benediction' at the nursery
and it is stunning - heavily covered with intense, sky-blue flowers. This is
a Great Plant Pick for you PNW gardeners.

and do some Pulmonaria not require dividing?

I've never had need to divide any of mine, but they can be divided easily.

pam - gardengal