Old 29-02-2004, 01:14 AM
Ted Richardson

Default Spring Planting Garlic

"J Jackson" wrote in message
: ajr wrote:
:
: : I'm not an expert on the subject, by any strech of the imagination! -
: : however I have been told the following from different sources.
:
: : 1. From an elderly friend of my Mum, I was told to plant garlic on the
: : shortest day of the year ie: December 21 (?). This I did and they are
: : growing quite well.

My Dad, who was an old gardener, told me, when I was a kid, in the 1930's,
that you should plant shallots on the shortest day, and lift them on the
longest day.
He never grew garlic it wasn't very popular, in England, in those days.

TedR