Old 29-02-2004, 02:02 AM
Michael Moss

Default sand burrs in my yard

Hi folks, thanks for those who responded to my question about ferns
earlier, so I'll ask another question for the group.
My yard is a converted field (county moved the road and deeded the land
to us.. ;-)
originally, most of it came up fine with grass, but each year we get
more and more sand burrs taking over and killing the grass. Last year
we put a new septic system in, and I planted new grass seed, spent hours
daily keeping it all watered (very large area) what little grass
germinated, was soon replaced by the sand burrs, worse than ever, making
the entire yard unusable ( I like to fly kites out there, and we have
our fire pit there also).
How can I kill these sand burrs, and still get grass to grow out there?
Should I just plant the grass again in the spring and hope it's strong
enough to survive whatever I need to do to kill the burrs (which
generally come up starting in the middle of summer I guess)
Any particular product to use? I can't use a heavy chemical tank
sprayer on top of my drain field or it will bust it all up I'm told..
Any Clues??
Again, thanks in advance from a total newbee..
--
Mikey Luvs Ya!!
http://personalpages.tds.net/~kyakmike/