Old 29-02-2004, 02:02 AM
Michael Moss

Default sand burrs in my yard

Hi folks, thanks for those who responded to my question about ferns
earlier, so I'll ask another question for the group.
My yard is a converted field (county moved the road and deeded the land
to us.. ;-)
originally, most of it came up fine with grass, but each year we get
more and more sand burrs taking over and killing the grass. Last year
we put a new septic system in, and I planted new grass seed, spent hours
daily keeping it all watered (very large area) what little grass
germinated, was soon replaced by the sand burrs, worse than ever, making
the entire yard unusable ( I like to fly kites out there, and we have
our fire pit there also).
How can I kill these sand burrs, and still get grass to grow out there?
Should I just plant the grass again in the spring and hope it's strong
enough to survive whatever I need to do to kill the burrs (which
generally come up starting in the middle of summer I guess)
Any particular product to use? I can't use a heavy chemical tank
sprayer on top of my drain field or it will bust it all up I'm told..
Any Clues??
Again, thanks in advance from a total newbee..
--
Mikey Luvs Ya!!
http://personalpages.tds.net/~kyakmike/

Old 29-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Hal

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:32:09 -0600, Michael Moss
wrote:

How can I kill these sand burrs, and still get grass to grow out there?

Water heavy and use a bagger mower often. Most poor lawns are poor
because they don't get enough water and sandspurs grow faster than
the grass on less water. Give the lawn plenty of water and the grass
grows and the sandspur grows a little taller and mowing takes up the
seed in the lawn mower bagger.

Regards,

Hal
Old 29-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Michael Moss

wrote:

How can I kill these sand burrs, and still get grass to grow out there?

Water heavy and use a bagger mower often. Most poor lawns are poor
because they don't get enough water and sandspurs grow faster than
the grass on less water. Give the lawn plenty of water and the grass
grows and the sandspur grows a little taller and mowing takes up the
seed in the lawn mower bagger.

Regards,

Hal

Thanks Hal, bagging is not an option, lawn is approx. 200'X 200' and I
use an old 1968 cub cadet with no bagger.... I water daily giving each
area 1/2 hour to 45 min. of water that I pump out of the lake out front,
but as the soil is extremely sandy, it dries within an hour of being
totally saturated, I don't have enough time in a day... ;-)

Old 29-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Michael Moss

Lar wrote:

The spurs are the seeds of the plant. Regular mowing before they have the
chance to go to seed can make a big difference. Applying a pre emergence in
the area can also keep last years seed from germinating, usually needing to
be done twice a year. Using sod rather than grass seed may help establish a
turf quicker too.

Thanks Lar, just what is a "pre emergence" and where might I get some?
I see weed be gone in the local fleet farm store, but that's about it...
and would pre emergence prevent me from planting new grass seed??
I looked into sod last year and it's Way out of my budget.. also looked
into that new stuff that they spray on with seed, mulch, feed, ect all
mixed together, but still way too much money to cover a large field..
Thanks again.

Old 29-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Michael Moss

Lar wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

builders sand instead of horticultural sand jw 111 Texas 15 24-08-2005 02:46 PM
swimming pool sand filter operation clive Ponds 3 08-12-2003 05:04 PM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 04:20 PM
white river sand alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:10 AM
Profile/Laterite/Sand as substrate redled Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:10 AM