Old 29-02-2004, 06:02 AM
Warren

Default Electric lawn mowers: do they cut it?

LanscpHort wrote:

regular corded mowers are almost trouble free. lots of power. just

stay
aware of that cord.

they also have really low purchase price.

My father bought an electric lawn mower back in the early '70s. (It
might have even been the late '60s -- I can't remember for sure.) The
lot was 40x130, with a house, two car garage, driveway and 12x12
vegetable garden. That didn't leave a lot of lawn, but the front lawn
did include a hill about as steep as you'd care to try mowing. The
electric mower had a fiberglass shell, so it was significantly lighter
than a gas mower, which was a big selling point.

I do remember we had to install an outside electrical outlet, as the
house didn't have one, and the detached garage, at the back lot line,
was just a tad too far to stretch a heavy-duty extension cord from.

That mower was still humming along when they sold the house in '98, and
all the maintenance it ever needed was blade sharpening, and occasional
blast of the hose on the under-deck. (Of course it was unplugged for
both of those operations!)

When I bought my own house I considered an electric, but I didn't find
one that had the feel that it would last 30 years, and the layout of my
irregular-shaped lot, and even more irregular shaped lawn really didn't
lend itself to being able to avoid the cord.

Your mileage may vary.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Spend your Amazon gift certificates he
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/associateshop.html