Old 29-02-2004, 02:42 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default "Evergreen" Pulmonaria not truly evergreen in warm latitudes?

"LanscpHort" wrote in message
Ahh, this hands-on info is really good. Thanks
"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message
P. saccharata is the species that is most likely considered to be

evergreen
but I don't consider any pulmonarias to be truly evergreen, certainly

not
like a hellebore or euphorbia. I grow P. saccharata 'Sissinghurst

White'
and by November or so, the foliage looks pretty ratty and I cut it back.

In
most seasons they will respond by producing a hint of new foliage, but

no
active growth and no full development of new leaves until spring. How

they
may perform in warmer winter situations I can't say.

Probably go ratty slightly earlier, depending on heat

buildup/accumulation.
{1}

btw, here it is the end of February and my Sisiinghurst White is in

full
flower with leaves elongating as we speak. These are excellent early

season
plants for the shady garden. Just brought in 'Benediction' at the

nursery
and it is stunning - heavily covered with intense, sky-blue flowers.

This
is
a Great Plant Pick for you PNW gardeners.

So maybe you can calibrate these flowering times to other flowering

plants.

I'll take a guess that you're about 2 weeks from initial flowering of

common
purple leaf plums?
And Benediction began almost 2 weeks ago?

Purple leaf plums are now in bloom in most locations here. Can't say how
long 'Benediction' has been blooming......it's an Oregon import.

pam - gardengal