Old 29-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Cereus-validus

Default Question about Oleander

You are one crazy mofo crackpot, Ben Him.

Why don't you make yourself a cup of oleander tea and tell us how good it
was. That is, if you are alive long enough to get back to your 'puter!!

Oleander aren't toxic to grow but they are deadly if any part of the plant
is ingested. There are just too many reports of people dying after ingesting
leaves or sap to take the problem of toxicity lightly.

"Ben Hiel" wrote in message
"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
"Ben Hiel" wrote in
:

"Ricky" wrote in message
"Bunny McElwee" wrote in message
I have an Oleander cutting rooted in a pot from my old home
that I moved from in 2002. I am looking to plant this in the
ground this year and I am
wondering what type of light requirements they need? I was looking
at a perfect spot but I think it only gets a few hours morning sun
and then the rest of the day is shaded. Can anyone help?

The first thing I will tell you is toss it in the trash. Oleander is
poisonous to humans. The leaves, the flowers, the bark, the roots.
But if you must... plant it in full sun to get flowers, part shade to
get leaves.

(sigh) Not this crap again.

Yes, it is toxic. But in order to ingest a toxic level, you have to
eat a LOT of it. And from what I hear, oleander tastes extremely
bitter and nasty. So I challenge you to produce a credible news story
that shows oleander is the dangerous menace to humanity that you claim
it is.

Here's one:
http://www.intelihealth.com/pcn/general/00292987.htm

BTW, it turns out that these 2 ate a LOT of oleander over a period of

days,
if they indeed did eat it willingly. So much so that there was a thick

layer
in their stomachs and much of the material was digested in their

intestines.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...5FB%40home.net

"It usually takes a massive amount of the plant to cause death, and most
people,
particularly children, simply could not eat that much because the leaves

are
so bitter,
experts said."