Old 28-02-2004, 10:50 PM
Bunny McElwee

Default Question about Oleander

I have an Oleander cutting rooted in a pot from my old home that I moved
from in 2002. I am looking to plant this in the ground this year and I am
wondering what type of light requirements they need? I was looking at a
perfect spot but I think it only gets a few hours morning sun and then the
rest of the day is shaded. Can anyone help?

--
Bunny McElwee
President, Lowcountry Miata Club

1991 Mariner Blue with Red & White Stripes
"BlueFlash"

Old 29-02-2004, 12:32 AM
MC

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:41:43 -0500, Bunny McElwee wrote:

I have an Oleander cutting rooted in a pot from my old home that I moved
from in 2002. I am looking to plant this in the ground this year and I am
wondering what type of light requirements they need? I was looking at a
perfect spot but I think it only gets a few hours morning sun and then the
rest of the day is shaded. Can anyone help?

I did simple www.google.com search on the keywords: oleander cultivation
propagation and came
up with the following
site out of many:

http://www.botanical-online.com/floradelfaangles.htm

Surely, you have heard of google.
Old 29-02-2004, 02:12 AM
Ricky

"Bunny McElwee" wrote in message
I have an Oleander cutting rooted in a pot from my old home that I

moved
from in 2002. I am looking to plant this in the ground this year and I am
wondering what type of light requirements they need? I was looking at a
perfect spot but I think it only gets a few hours morning sun and then the
rest of the day is shaded. Can anyone help?

The first thing I will tell you is toss it in the trash. Oleander is
poisonous to humans. The leaves, the flowers, the bark, the roots. But if
you must... plant it in full sun to get flowers, part shade to get leaves.

Old 29-02-2004, 04:03 AM
Ben Hiel

"Ricky" wrote in message
"Bunny McElwee" wrote in message
I have an Oleander cutting rooted in a pot from my old home that I

moved
from in 2002. I am looking to plant this in the ground this year and I

am
wondering what type of light requirements they need? I was looking at a
perfect spot but I think it only gets a few hours morning sun and then

the
rest of the day is shaded. Can anyone help?

The first thing I will tell you is toss it in the trash. Oleander is
poisonous to humans. The leaves, the flowers, the bark, the roots. But if
you must... plant it in full sun to get flowers, part shade to get leaves.

(sigh) Not this crap again.

Yes, it is toxic. But in order to ingest a toxic level, you have to eat a
LOT of it. And from what I hear, oleander tastes extremely bitter and nasty.
So I challenge you to produce a credible news story that shows oleander is
the dangerous menace to humanity that you claim it is.

Old 29-02-2004, 04:04 AM
Salty Thumb

"Ben Hiel" wrote in
:

"Ricky" wrote in message
[...]

Here's one:
http://www.intelihealth.com/pcn/general/00292987.htm

or it could be a cover up for gangland execution by [insert dangerous
stereotype] mafia

Here's what the silly people at NIH have to say:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...pages/3079.htm
Medical Encyclopedia. Oleander (Nerium oleander) is a common ornamental
evergreen shrub. It is used as a freeway median divider in warmer states,
such as California. This plant is extremely toxic, and a single leaf may
kill an adult.

Maybe you should try chewing a couple of leaves and let us know (or not)
how it goes.

Old 29-02-2004, 04:42 AM
Ben Hiel

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
"Ben Hiel" wrote in
:

"Ricky" wrote in message
[...]

There are over 5 billion people in the world, and you were able to produce a
whopping 2 people who died from ingesting oleander in recent years. Notice
that they didn't die an instant after touching an oleander leaf - they died
after repeatedly ingesting oleander over a period of days. This hardly
represents a dangerous health menace to humanity.

Millions of people have oleander in close proximity to their their homes and
somehow they manage to stay alive. Meanwhile, people who live in fear of the
Dreaded Oleander unknowingly have yards filled with DEADLY TOXIC PLANTS
READY TO KILL. Hydrangea is toxic. Poinsettia is toxic. English ivy is
toxic. Caladium is toxic. Foxglove is toxic. Philodendron is toxic. So are
azaleas and rhododendrons.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=90376391
Hide in fear from the lovely philodendron - it's a killer!

Somehow, human beings have existed with these plants for thousands of years.
Should people be fearful of these plants like you fear the Dreaded Oleander?

Here's what the silly people at NIH have to say:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...pages/3079.htm
Medical Encyclopedia. Oleander (Nerium oleander) is a common ornamental
evergreen shrub. It is used as a freeway median divider in warmer states,
such as California. This plant is extremely toxic, and a single leaf may
kill an adult.

Maybe you should try chewing a couple of leaves and let us know (or not)
how it goes.

Maybe you should try getting a grasp of the genuine health dangers you
should be concerned with.

Old 29-02-2004, 05:02 AM
Salty Thumb

"Ben Hiel" wrote in
:

There are over 5 billion people in the world, and you were able to
produce a whopping 2 people who died from ingesting oleander in recent
years. Notice that they didn't die an instant after touching an
oleander leaf - they died after repeatedly ingesting oleander over a
period of days. This hardly represents a dangerous health menace to
humanity.

You asked for a credible news story. I gave you one. Did you want it
notarized by the Pope or your local Rabbi? Currently, you are the only
person characterizing oleander as a weapon of mass destruction. The
original replier said it was poisonous. Are you disputing that? The best
you can offer is third hand knowledge of what it might taste like.

Millions of people have oleander in close proximity to their their
homes and somehow they manage to stay alive. Meanwhile, people who
live in fear of the Dreaded Oleander unknowingly have yards filled
with DEADLY TOXIC PLANTS READY TO KILL. Hydrangea is toxic. Poinsettia
is toxic. English ivy is toxic. Caladium is toxic. Foxglove is toxic.
Philodendron is toxic. So are azaleas and rhododendrons.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...e&db=PubMed&do
pt=Abstract&list_uids=90376391 Hide in fear from the lovely
philodendron - it's a killer!

Somehow, human beings have existed with these plants for thousands of
years. Should people be fearful of these plants like you fear the
Dreaded Oleander?

I'm more afraid of becoming one of those people who make unwarranted
characterizations. Like yourself. You can turn the soap opera music off
now.

Maybe you should try chewing a couple of leaves and let us know (or
not) how it goes.

Maybe you should try getting a grasp of the genuine health dangers you
should be concerned with.

Maybe you should let people decide for themselves what that they are wont
to do. And save the drama for somebody who might be impressed.
Old 29-02-2004, 05:12 AM
Ben Hiel

"Ricky" wrote in message
[...]

BTW, it turns out that these 2 ate a LOT of oleander over a period of days,
if they indeed did eat it willingly. So much so that there was a thick layer
in their stomachs and much of the material was digested in their intestines.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...5FB%40home.net

"It usually takes a massive amount of the plant to cause death, and most
people,
particularly children, simply could not eat that much because the leaves are
so bitter,
experts said."

Old 29-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Cereus-validus

You are one crazy mofo crackpot, Ben Him.

Why don't you make yourself a cup of oleander tea and tell us how good it
was. That is, if you are alive long enough to get back to your 'puter!!

Oleander aren't toxic to grow but they are deadly if any part of the plant
is ingested. There are just too many reports of people dying after ingesting
leaves or sap to take the problem of toxicity lightly.

Old 29-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Charles

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:21:01 -0600, "Ben Hiel"
wrote:

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
.. .
"Ben Hiel" wrote in
:

There are over 5 billion people in the world, and you were able to
produce a whopping 2 people who died from ingesting oleander in recent
years. Notice that they didn't die an instant after touching an
oleander leaf - they died after repeatedly ingesting oleander over a
period of days. This hardly represents a dangerous health menace to
humanity.

You asked for a credible news story. I gave you one.

The operative word is ONE. Out of millions of yards and gardens with
oleander, you were able to produce precisely ONE incident - and this
incident occured after eating a lot of it over a period of days. It also
sounds very suspicious to me. If anyone knows what the outcome of the
criminal investigation was I would like to read it.

From another news story about these two deaths:
"Normal children don't go out and eat oleander," said Dr. Richard
Clark, a medical toxicologist and executive director of the California
Poison
Control Center. And even if they did, Clark added, they would either gag on
the
bitter plant or vomit it.

"There is not a single other case in the American literature that I
know of of people eating oleander leaves and dying," he said.

Did you want it
notarized by the Pope or your local Rabbi? Currently, you are the only
person characterizing oleander as a weapon of mass destruction. The
original replier said it was poisonous. Are you disputing that? The best
you can offer is third hand knowledge of what it might taste like.

What I am disputing is his advice: "The first thing I will tell you is toss
it in the trash." If you like oleander but hear the paranoid fables (like
the infamous hot dog skewer urban legend), his advice is stupid.

[...]

Should people be fearful of these other toxic plants like some fear the
Dreaded Oleander?

Maybe you should try chewing a couple of leaves and let us know (or
not) how it goes.

Maybe you should try getting a grasp of the genuine health dangers you
should be concerned with.

Maybe you should let people decide for themselves what that they are wont
to do. And save the drama for somebody who might be impressed.

Maybe you should admit that the fear of oleander is vastly overblown, and
allow people with a reasonable view of risk to explain why.

1982 Contra costa County, California. A 96 YO woman died after eating
oleander, apparently a suicide.

from "Poisonous Plants of California" ISBN 0-520-05569-1

--

- Charles
-

Old 29-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Salty Thumb

"Ben Hiel" wrote in
:

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
"Ben Hiel" wrote in
:

There are over 5 billion people in the world, and you were able to
produce a whopping 2 people who died from ingesting oleander in
recent years. Notice that they didn't die an instant after touching
an oleander leaf - they died after repeatedly ingesting oleander
over a period of days. This hardly represents a dangerous health
menace to humanity.

You asked for a credible news story. I gave you one.

The operative word is ONE. Out of millions of yards and gardens with
oleander, you were able to produce precisely ONE incident - and this
incident occured after eating a lot of it over a period of days. It
also sounds very suspicious to me. If anyone knows what the outcome of
the criminal investigation was I would like to read it.

tsk tsk, why don't you quantify exactly how many death accounts will be
sufficent to warrant your scrutiny? You asked for 'a' news story, that's
what you got. Guess how many I looked for before I stopped?

From another news story about these two deaths:
"Normal children don't go out and eat oleander," said Dr. Richard
Clark, a medical toxicologist and executive director of the California
Poison
Control Center. And even if they did, Clark added, they would either
gag on the
bitter plant or vomit it.

"There is not a single other case in the American literature that I
know of of people eating oleander leaves and dying," he said.

Obviously normal children of rich hoity-toity bureaucrats don't eat
oleander, but for all we know, the dead kids could have been your long lost
cousins trying to impress their new American friends by showing them how
non-toxic oleander is.

So impress us and have a bite and confirm what you've so faithfully
reported. If it's spitable, you'll have made a case. If it's not, the
world will have lost a great genius. And don't pick one of those crap
herbal plants, get one that's been in full sun and brushed by dogs. Give a
leaf to a loved one as well, in case you've become resistant due to
repeated exposure.

Did you want it
notarized by the Pope or your local Rabbi? Currently, you are the
only person characterizing oleander as a weapon of mass destruction.
The original replier said it was poisonous. Are you disputing that?
The best you can offer is third hand knowledge of what it might taste
like.

What I am disputing is his advice: "The first thing I will tell you is
toss it in the trash." If you like oleander but hear the paranoid
fables (like the infamous hot dog skewer urban legend), his advice is
stupid.

Some people like their house immaculate, others don't mind a mess or two.
Some people can eat peanuts, others get anaphylaxis and die.

btw, what did he say after giving the advice you just quoted? Was that the
advice of a fearful oleander lunatic?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...ieve&db=PubMed
&do pt=Abstract&list_uids=90376391 Hide in fear from the lovely
philodendron - it's a killer!

Somehow, human beings have existed with these plants for thousands
of years. Should people be fearful of these plants like you fear
the Dreaded Oleander?

I'm more afraid of becoming one of those people who make unwarranted
characterizations. Like yourself. You can turn the soap opera music
off now.

Should people be fearful of these other toxic plants like some fear
the Dreaded Oleander?

If the plants you listed are as toxic or more toxic than oleander, then "I
challenge you to produce a credible news story that shows" your choice of
6 plant genera has commensurate or greater toxicity than the already low
(by your standard) oleander. You have a 5 billion people to work with.
And you won't mind if I leave out foxglove as one of the choices. In case
you have the wherewithal to find one, then I change my mind, show me *13*
dead people. Don't worry, I won't hold my breathe.

Maybe you should try chewing a couple of leaves and let us know
(or not) how it goes.

Maybe you should try getting a grasp of the genuine health dangers
you should be concerned with.

Maybe you should let people decide for themselves what that they are
wont to do. And save the drama for somebody who might be impressed.

Maybe you should admit that the fear of oleander is vastly overblown,
and allow people with a reasonable view of risk to explain why.

Maybe you should realize I'm not the least bit afraid of oleander and that
people with reasonable views don't generally start their arguments with the
phrase "(sigh) Not this crap again."

[IMG] code is On

Oleander Question Simpledog Gardening 8 07-08-2004 03:10 AM
Question about Oleander -Ben Hiney is wrong Cereus-validus Gardening 3 04-03-2004 01:12 AM
Oleander yellow aphids bentcajungirl Lawns 1 28-04-2003 05:56 AM
Red Oleander Seeds Angela Coffey Gardening 2 26-04-2003 05:08 PM
Propagation of oleander ncstockguy North Carolina 1 06-03-2003 07:03 PM