Old 01-03-2004, 09:14 PM
MC

Default Wildflowers

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:11:30 -0600, junkyardcat wrote:

I have a fenced area beside my shed that is overgrown with weeds and is a
really ugly sight! I was wondering...if I use the weedeater on it, and then
just sprinkle hundreds of wildflower seeds on the lot, will they grow
without having to dig up the whole area before I sprinkle them? It would be
a big job to dig up the whole area with a garden claw....

Thanks for any advice
Angie

How big is the area?

Established plants will compete for the space and may be too much
competition for the seeds when they germinate. Also, seeds need light and
moisture. If the established plants become too shady for the seeds, you
may have problems.

Prepare the soil right and let your plants be happy. Easiest way to get
going: Roundup according to instructions on the bottle. In 3 weeks you
can then plant the new seeds.

Depending on what you have now, there will undoubtedly be many volunteer
seeds from the previous vegetation. You may have your hands full for a
bit.