Old 01-03-2004, 06:42 PM
junkyardcat

Default Wildflowers

I have a fenced area beside my shed that is overgrown with weeds and is a
really ugly sight! I was wondering...if I use the weedeater on it, and then
just sprinkle hundreds of wildflower seeds on the lot, will they grow
without having to dig up the whole area before I sprinkle them? It would be
a big job to dig up the whole area with a garden claw....

Thanks for any advice
Angie

Old 01-03-2004, 08:02 PM
Brian

Very few would be likely to survive. Wildflowers need as good a start as
'tame' flowers. Your very best bet would be to spray with Roundup [probably
twice]and then scatter your seeds after lightly disturbing the soil. The
dead weeds don't need to be removed. You might find ,however, that some of
your wildflowers are the same as your weeds!! Your 'weeds' may very well be
someone else's wildflowers!! What is a weed??
Best Wishes

Old 01-03-2004, 09:08 PM
MC

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:11:30 -0600, junkyardcat wrote:

I have a fenced area beside my shed that is overgrown with weeds and is a
really ugly sight! I was wondering...if I use the weedeater on it, and then
just sprinkle hundreds of wildflower seeds on the lot, will they grow
without having to dig up the whole area before I sprinkle them? It would be
a big job to dig up the whole area with a garden claw....

Thanks for any advice
Angie

How big is the area?

Established plants will compete for the space and may be too much
competition for the seeds when they germinate. Also, seeds need light and
moisture. If the established plants become too shady for the seeds, you
may have problems.

Prepare the soil right and let your plants be happy. Easiest way to get
going: Roundup according to instructions on the bottle. In 3 weeks you
can then plant the new seeds.

Depending on what you have now, there will undoubtedly be many volunteer
seeds from the previous vegetation. You may have your hands full for a
bit.

Old 02-03-2004, 02:07 PM
escapee

I am sorry, but this simply is not true. Many Texas wildflowers need those
weeds to thrive. Using glyphosate is a bad idea for any garden, any time,
anywhere. I have thrown wildflower seeds right into huge weed patches to have
beautiful wildflowers the following season and it does eventually strangle the
weeds out. The larger weeds I pull by hand after a rain, and I'm persistent at
it. Disturbing the soil allows weed seeds which may have been dormant in soil
for decades, to germinate. Glyphosate has nothing to do with that at all.

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:35:29 -0000, "Brian" opined:

Old 02-03-2004, 06:36 PM
MLEBLANCA

In article , escapee
writes:

I am sorry, but this simply is not true. Many Texas wildflowers need those
weeds to thrive

do you know if Texas Paintbrush, Castilleja indivisa, is one of these?
I know most ( if not all) Calif paintbrushes are parasitic upon other plants,
such as grasses and Artemisia. I was curious about Texas species of
Castilleja??

Emilie
NorCal
Old 04-03-2004, 06:02 AM
MLEBLANCA

In article , escapee
writes:

I am sorry, but this simply is not true. Many Texas wildflowers need those
weeds to thrive

do you know if Texas Paintbrush, Castilleja indivisa, is one of these?

Yes, it is. It needs a particular native grass...I'm not sure which. It's
actually borderline parasitic in that it really does need companions to
thrive.
I have mine inter planted with the bluebonnets and since they are legumes and
fix nitrogen, I have a nice stand.

Thanks v
That is a glorious combination!!

Emilie

[IMG] code is On

Gorman Wildflowers Charles Gardening 0 29-04-2003 04:44 AM
Petrified Wood And Desert Wildflowers Inyo Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
Question on Growing Wildflowers Jerry Adams Gardening 6 08-03-2003 08:33 PM
Petrified Wood And Desert Wildflowers Inyo Plant Science 0 01-03-2003 08:14 PM
Perennial Wildflowers Martin & Anna Sykes United Kingdom 2 04-12-2002 09:48 PM