Old 02-03-2004, 02:12 PM
escapee

Default Wildflowers

I am sorry, but this simply is not true. Many Texas wildflowers need those
weeds to thrive. Using glyphosate is a bad idea for any garden, any time,
anywhere. I have thrown wildflower seeds right into huge weed patches to have
beautiful wildflowers the following season and it does eventually strangle the
weeds out. The larger weeds I pull by hand after a rain, and I'm persistent at
it. Disturbing the soil allows weed seeds which may have been dormant in soil
for decades, to germinate. Glyphosate has nothing to do with that at all.

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:35:29 -0000, "Brian" opined:

Very few would be likely to survive. Wildflowers need as good a start as
'tame' flowers. Your very best bet would be to spray with Roundup [probably
twice]and then scatter your seeds after lightly disturbing the soil. The
dead weeds don't need to be removed. You might find ,however, that some of
your wildflowers are the same as your weeds!! Your 'weeds' may very well be
someone else's wildflowers!! What is a weed??
Best Wishes
"junkyardcat" wrote in message
I have a fenced area beside my shed that is overgrown with weeds and is a
really ugly sight! I was wondering...if I use the weedeater on it, and

then
just sprinkle hundreds of wildflower seeds on the lot, will they grow
without having to dig up the whole area before I sprinkle them? It would

be
a big job to dig up the whole area with a garden claw....

Thanks for any advice
Angie