Old 03-03-2004, 09:44 PM
K Barrett

Default Fungus and Such Questions

Pool algacide is the same quaternary ammonia salt that is found in physan.
Its just half strength, so you'd double the amount. Or not, according to
your wishes. Look in the pool aisle at Lowes.

Neem oil is supposed to cure everything. Make sure you use a couple of drops
of dish detergent in order to emulsify the oil into the water. I used neem
once or twice and hated its smell, so I didn't use it again... not that I
noticed any effect, anyway. YMMV.

I have no experience with orange guard, but Ray swears by it enough that he
sells it.

I use lava rock. I can find the small rock (~1/2 inch) at a garden nursery
type place, not the large pieces like what you'd use in rock
gardens/bedding. But otherwise it looks just like red lava rock. Just
smaller. So I suppose I'm saying no need to go out and buy fancy stuff. To
me what's important is the size of the rock.

I've never tried vinegar spray. One of my friends says plain old peroxide
straight out of the bottle works well. I think she got the idea fom Alan
Koch.

K Barrett

"Shell" wrote in message
m...
I've lost at least three plants since spraying with alcohol and cinnamon.
All the plants that look affected are in quarantine and I plan on spraying
all the plants. I looked for physan but couldn't find it anywhere around
here. My local Lowe's had neem oil and orange guard so I got a bottle of
both. I've also heard of spraying plants with vinegar and may try that

too.

Also I want to switch potting mediums to either lava rock or one of the
hydroponic type mediums, hence the questions below.

1: Just how effective is neem oil for getting rid of fungus and stuff like
brown rot ?

2: Does anyone have any experience with orange guard?

3: Anyone tried the vinegar spray?

4: and lastly if I switch to lava rock can I buy the landscaping lava and
break it into smaller pieces or do I need to spend gobs of money on

ordering
the special hydroponics type media?

Shell