Old 03-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Shell

Default Fungus and Such Questions

I've lost at least three plants since spraying with alcohol and cinnamon.
All the plants that look affected are in quarantine and I plan on spraying
all the plants. I looked for physan but couldn't find it anywhere around
here. My local Lowe's had neem oil and orange guard so I got a bottle of
both. I've also heard of spraying plants with vinegar and may try that too.

Also I want to switch potting mediums to either lava rock or one of the
hydroponic type mediums, hence the questions below.

1: Just how effective is neem oil for getting rid of fungus and stuff like
brown rot ?

2: Does anyone have any experience with orange guard?

3: Anyone tried the vinegar spray?

4: and lastly if I switch to lava rock can I buy the landscaping lava and
break it into smaller pieces or do I need to spend gobs of money on ordering
the special hydroponics type media?

Shell

Old 03-03-2004, 09:35 PM
K Barrett

Pool algacide is the same quaternary ammonia salt that is found in physan.
Its just half strength, so you'd double the amount. Or not, according to
your wishes. Look in the pool aisle at Lowes.

Neem oil is supposed to cure everything. Make sure you use a couple of drops
of dish detergent in order to emulsify the oil into the water. I used neem
once or twice and hated its smell, so I didn't use it again... not that I
noticed any effect, anyway. YMMV.

I have no experience with orange guard, but Ray swears by it enough that he
sells it.

I use lava rock. I can find the small rock (~1/2 inch) at a garden nursery
type place, not the large pieces like what you'd use in rock
gardens/bedding. But otherwise it looks just like red lava rock. Just
smaller. So I suppose I'm saying no need to go out and buy fancy stuff. To
me what's important is the size of the rock.

I've never tried vinegar spray. One of my friends says plain old peroxide
straight out of the bottle works well. I think she got the idea fom Alan
Koch.

K Barrett

m...

Old 03-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Shell

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Pool algacide is the same quaternary ammonia salt that is found in physan.
Its just half strength, so you'd double the amount. Or not, according to
your wishes. Look in the pool aisle at Lowes.

Thanks, I will be looking for it.

Neem oil is supposed to cure everything. Make sure you use a couple of

drops
of dish detergent in order to emulsify the oil into the water. I used

neem
once or twice and hated its smell, so I didn't use it again... not that I
noticed any effect, anyway. YMMV.

I think I will try the neem on the really bad cases which are outside now.

I have no experience with orange guard, but Ray swears by it enough that

he
sells it.

Cool I noticed that they sell gallon size bottles of orange guard at
Lowe's. I think I'll try it outside where we have a big pillbug problem
along with fire ants.

I use lava rock. I can find the small rock (~1/2 inch) at a garden

nursery
type place, not the large pieces like what you'd use in rock
gardens/bedding. But otherwise it looks just like red lava rock. Just
smaller. So I suppose I'm saying no need to go out and buy fancy stuff.

me what's important is the size of the rock.

Thanks for the info on the lava rock. I think I will change over all my
orchids. Re-potting is not my favorite chore

I've never tried vinegar spray. One of my friends says plain old peroxide
straight out of the bottle works well. I think she got the idea fom Alan
Koch.

I have heard of using peroxide and even plain old clorox in the water to get
rid of molds in media but I'm not too sure I want to try that yet.

Thanks for all the information. Hopefully I will have everything taken care
of this weekend.

Shell

Old 04-03-2004, 04:08 AM
Ray

OK, first question: are you sure you're dealing with a fungus infestation?

Cinnamon and alcohol is a better fungus killer than neem, but neem is a
great preventive measure.

Vinegar is a great herbicide. Do you really want to apply it to plants????

.. . . . . . . . . . .
m...

Old 04-03-2004, 06:12 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 23:20:38 GMT, "Shell"
wrote:
One of my friends says plain old peroxide
straight out of the bottle works well. I think she got the idea fom Alan
Koch.

I have heard of using peroxide and even plain old clorox in the water to get
rid of molds in media but I'm not too sure I want to try that yet.

Thanks for all the information. Hopefully I will have everything taken care
of this weekend.

Shell

For Crown Rot in a Phal. one of the attempted cures is to water
the plant with hydrogen peroxide from WalMart's pharmacy. It is
cheap. It destroys (hopefully) the rot before the peroxide
breaks down. I have used it on a fairly small plant. It kept it
alive with one leaf long enough for a keiki to develop.

Clorox is used to wash walls and kill snails and algae on
walkways. I would not put it on a plant I wanted to live. That
is not saying a mild enough solution could not be found to be
beneficial... just I would not use it.

SuE
Old 04-03-2004, 07:02 AM
Shell

"Ray" wrote in message
OK, first question: are you sure you're dealing with a fungus

infestation?

I'm not sure it's fungus on a couple of the plants but I am on two that bit
the dust, my colm. wildcat jaguar and my miltonia. My gram. speciosum may
be fungus but may also be a light problem. I figure it can't hurt to go
ahead and treat for fungus though.

Cinnamon and alcohol is a better fungus killer than neem, but neem is a
great preventive measure.

I'm going to go ahead and treat everything I have with the neem except the
succulents. My plan is to treat everything outside and let it dry, then
move them back inside to the plant table.

Vinegar is a great herbicide. Do you really want to apply it to

plants????

Eek. I didn't know that about vinegar, it stays in the bottle for sure.

Shell