Old 05-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Dada

Default Osmocote vs regular fertilization

Hi all:

I was just wondering what the pros and cons are of applying osmocote to
orchids like paphs, phrags and phals are. Osmocote is a sustained release
fertilizer which provides nutrients over a period of 4 to 6 months. Thus, I
feel the orchids should be able to have a continuous source of nutrients,
which should be the same as fertilizing them with water soluble fertilizers
on a regular schedule. Also as osmocote/ any other sustained release
fertilizer releases nutrients slowly, there should not be any excess
fertilizer induced damage to the plants.

I would like some feedback regarding this as I am curious to know if any one
has had experience using osmocote/any other sustained release fertilizer
alone or in combination with fertilization.

Thanks

Dada