Old 05-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Dada

Default Osmocote vs regular fertilization

Hi all:

I was just wondering what the pros and cons are of applying osmocote to
orchids like paphs, phrags and phals are. Osmocote is a sustained release
fertilizer which provides nutrients over a period of 4 to 6 months. Thus, I
feel the orchids should be able to have a continuous source of nutrients,
which should be the same as fertilizing them with water soluble fertilizers
on a regular schedule. Also as osmocote/ any other sustained release
fertilizer releases nutrients slowly, there should not be any excess
fertilizer induced damage to the plants.

I would like some feedback regarding this as I am curious to know if any one
has had experience using osmocote/any other sustained release fertilizer
alone or in combination with fertilization.

Thanks

Dada

Old 05-03-2004, 06:53 PM
Eric Hunt

Dada,

I've successfully used it on Cymbidiums here in San Francisco - plant was
bought in spike with one spike, the next season after I grew it, it had
three spikes. I put about 2 tablespoons on the surface and then forgot about
it.

Make sure you get the Azalea/acid loving plants formula - the foliage plants
formula is too nitrogen heavy.

-Eric

s.com...

Old 05-03-2004, 10:15 PM
Diana Kulaga

Dada,

I use Dynamite rather than Osmocote, as Osmocote seems to have a tendency to
break down under some conditions. Motes Orchids recommends the 13-13-13
formula.

But, I also fertilize every two weeks. The plants love it.

Diana

Old 08-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Dada

Thanks for the inputs.........i guess i'll try a mix of water soluble
fertilizer along with the sustained release fertilizer.....

Dada : -)

link.net...

Osmocote sharoncapps Roses 3 18-04-2005 01:22 PM
[IBC] Osmocote Bill Watkins Bonsai 9 17-05-2004 04:06 PM
[IBC] Osmocote for Dummies Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 12-05-2004 07:08 PM
Fish Emulsion and Osmocote Penny Morgan Edible Gardening 0 18-06-2003 09:44 PM
are "regular" fertilizer sticks appropriate for aquarium use? Duncan A. McRae Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 26-05-2003 02:56 PM