Old 07-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Nate

Default What to do with narrow space

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 00:21:32 -0600, Fred wrote:

I am trying to determine what to do with a very narrow space between the
deck of my pool and a fence. The space is only about 18" deep and 8ft wide.
The space is in full sun. and we are in north texas. Any ideas would be
appreciated. I can supply a digital photo if required.

tia

Depending on the soil and moisture, try some ornamental grasses
interspersed with perennials. Deschampsia and calamagrostis would look
good. Prairie dropseed and little bluestem are good plants, too. If you
have the right moisture, some of the carex grasses would work. My
favorite is Ice Dance.

Grasses are easy to grow. They have few disease or pest problems.
Grasses also look good all season long with little to no maintenance.
They change as the season progresses and look great throughout the winter
months. Most grasses are left standing until the end of winter when they
are trimmed back to 3" or so above soil level.

Two things grasses don't like: being buried deep and overwatering. The
crown of a grass plant should be at soil level and no deeper.
Overwatering and poor drainage will do a grass in.

If you prep your area right, you could also go for some of the water
grasses.