Old 07-03-2004, 06:32 AM
Fred

Default What to do with narrow space

I am trying to determine what to do with a very narrow space between the
deck of my pool and a fence. The space is only about 18" deep and 8ft wide.
The space is in full sun. and we are in north texas. Any ideas would be
appreciated. I can supply a digital photo if required.

tia

Old 07-03-2004, 07:12 AM
Warren

Fred wrote:
I am trying to determine what to do with a very narrow space between

the
deck of my pool and a fence. The space is only about 18" deep and 8ft

wide.
The space is in full sun. and we are in north texas. Any ideas would

be
appreciated. I can supply a digital photo if required.

tia

What do you want to accomplish? Is the fence something like a chain-link
that you want something to cover it to provide privacy? Is it a solid
fence that you want to make less stark looking? Are you just trying to
keep weeds from taking over? Or do you have something else in mind? Do
you want lots of seasonal color? Or just foliage? Do you want something
that'll be there all year? Or something that comes back or leafs-out
each year? Is it someplace you can, or want to water frequently, or do
you want low maintenance?

Once folks know what it is you want to accomplish, I'm sure that someone
will come up with some good ideas on how to accomplish it.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Spend your Amazon gift certificates he
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/associateshop.html

Old 07-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Nate

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 00:21:32 -0600, Fred wrote:

I am trying to determine what to do with a very narrow space between the
deck of my pool and a fence. The space is only about 18" deep and 8ft wide.
The space is in full sun. and we are in north texas. Any ideas would be
appreciated. I can supply a digital photo if required.

tia

Depending on the soil and moisture, try some ornamental grasses
interspersed with perennials. Deschampsia and calamagrostis would look
good. Prairie dropseed and little bluestem are good plants, too. If you
have the right moisture, some of the carex grasses would work. My
favorite is Ice Dance.

Grasses are easy to grow. They have few disease or pest problems.
Grasses also look good all season long with little to no maintenance.
They change as the season progresses and look great throughout the winter
months. Most grasses are left standing until the end of winter when they
are trimmed back to 3" or so above soil level.

Two things grasses don't like: being buried deep and overwatering. The
crown of a grass plant should be at soil level and no deeper.
Overwatering and poor drainage will do a grass in.

If you prep your area right, you could also go for some of the water
grasses.

Old 07-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Nate" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 00:21:32 -0600, Fred wrote:

Depending on the soil and moisture, try some ornamental grasses
interspersed with perennials. Deschampsia and calamagrostis would look
good. Prairie dropseed and little bluestem are good plants, too. If you
have the right moisture, some of the carex grasses would work. My
favorite is Ice Dance.

'Ice Dance' is a wood sedge, Carex morrowii. It would be toast in minutes in
full sun Texas with reflected heat from pool decking.

Old 07-03-2004, 04:05 PM
Fred

Thanks for the followup questions. The fence in question is one of the new
vinyl fences. It is solid panels and is pure white. My goal is to provide
coverage to break up all the stark white around the yard. If some sort of
vine gets recommended, would I have to create some type of structure for it
to grow on? Pam is correct about the heat...even though this is the dallas
fort worth area and not austin or san antonio, we can get day after day of
100+ temps. Watering will be done by hand to this area.