Old 09-03-2004, 04:17 AM
Philip

Default Gases coming off compost heaps ?

"haylow50" wrote in message
om...
my neighbour has a very smelly heap that gives off lots of gas ,which
wafts into my abode . what exactly are these gases and how noxious are
they ?
any recomended safe limits on this ? airborn germs and diseases that
could be breathed in by family ? long term harmfull effects ?

experts only on this reply thanks .

I'm not sure that Hans Blix logs into uk.rec.gardening so in his absense you
are going to have to put up some well meaning amatuers.

Turning to your questions :

noxious - I doubt it.
safe limits - far in excess of what youre getting
airborn germs and diseases - more risk in the school playground
long term hamful effects - excessive exposure may cause you to start posting
to newsgroups ;^)

What to do next : I would speak to your neighbour and explain your problem.
Ask them to move their heap further from the boundary. If you are really
suffering then involve environmental health.

Hope you find a solution