Old 09-03-2004, 04:17 AM
haylow50

Default Gases coming off compost heaps ?

my neighbour has a very smelly heap that gives off lots of gas ,which
wafts into my abode . what exactly are these gases and how noxious are
they ?
any recomended safe limits on this ? airborn germs and diseases that
could be breathed in by family ? long term harmfull effects ?

experts only on this reply thanks .
Old 09-03-2004, 04:17 AM
Cereus-validus

You don't need an expert to tell you the obvious.

Set a match to it and you will find out first hand exactly what the fumes
are!!!

Unless it is giving off a foul odor, you don't have much to worry about.

om...

Old 09-03-2004, 04:17 AM
Philip

"haylow50" wrote in message
om...
my neighbour has a very smelly heap that gives off lots of gas ,which
wafts into my abode . what exactly are these gases and how noxious are
they ?
any recomended safe limits on this ? airborn germs and diseases that
could be breathed in by family ? long term harmfull effects ?

experts only on this reply thanks .

I'm not sure that Hans Blix logs into uk.rec.gardening so in his absense you
are going to have to put up some well meaning amatuers.

Turning to your questions :

noxious - I doubt it.
safe limits - far in excess of what youre getting
airborn germs and diseases - more risk in the school playground
long term hamful effects - excessive exposure may cause you to start posting
to newsgroups ;^)

What to do next : I would speak to your neighbour and explain your problem.
Ask them to move their heap further from the boundary. If you are really
suffering then involve environmental health.

Hope you find a solution

Old 09-03-2004, 04:17 AM
nambucca

"haylow50" wrote in message
om...
my neighbour has a very smelly heap that gives off lots of gas ,which
wafts into my abode . what exactly are these gases and how noxious are
they ?
any recomended safe limits on this ? airborn germs and diseases that
could be breathed in by family ? long term harmfull effects ?

experts only on this reply thanks .

The only real smell generally from a properly run compost heap is the smell
of grass cuttings heating up .......a silage smell which is actually quite
pleasant and does not last long
This means that the bugs etc in the compost will be killed

If theres other noxious odours then i would suggest your neighbours compost
bins or heap are badly mixed and run

Old 09-03-2004, 04:17 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , haylow50
writes
my neighbour has a very smelly heap that gives off lots of gas ,which
wafts into my abode . what exactly are these gases and how noxious are
they ?
any recomended safe limits on this ? airborn germs and diseases that
could be breathed in by family ? long term harmfull effects ?

experts only on this reply thanks .

Something doesn't ring true here.

someone posting from 'sniffout.com' about smelly compost
heaps.............

I recommend a good peg :-)
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Old 09-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Franz Heymann

"haylow50" wrote in message
om...
my neighbour has a very smelly heap that gives off lots of gas ,which
wafts into my abode . what exactly are these gases and how noxious are
they ?

Mostly methane and sulphuretted hydrogen. Neither is particularly toxic in
the amounts you are likely to smell.
You release a fair amount of these yourself every time you fart.

Overall, it sounds as if your neighbour has a pretty good compost heap
going.
I suspect you will have to get used to it, because I am not aware of any
anti-smell laws which would be applicable.
The bright part is that ones olfactory organ ceases to notice it after a few
minutes of sniffing it.

any recomended safe limits on this ?

The bigger the compost heap, the better for the garden.

airborn germs and diseases that
could be breathed in by family?

Probably not, unless he is composting material which contain sources of
human diseases, which is highly unlikely..

long term harmfull effects ?

Probably not.
Actually, in time one gets to appreciate the smell of a compost heap.

Franz

Covering compost heaps michael United Kingdom 17 15-02-2014 06:21 PM
compost heaps Fred United Kingdom 5 11-02-2008 08:38 PM
Toxic gases Ray Orchids 13 13-06-2004 04:03 PM
Mouldy bread and compost heaps. dommy United Kingdom 21 03-07-2003 01:24 AM
Musings on Compost Heaps (and the things you find in them) Sarah Dale United Kingdom 10 13-11-2002 01:22 PM