Old 09-03-2004, 04:17 AM
nambucca

Default Gases coming off compost heaps ?

"haylow50" wrote in message
om...
my neighbour has a very smelly heap that gives off lots of gas ,which
wafts into my abode . what exactly are these gases and how noxious are
they ?
any recomended safe limits on this ? airborn germs and diseases that
could be breathed in by family ? long term harmfull effects ?

experts only on this reply thanks .

The only real smell generally from a properly run compost heap is the smell
of grass cuttings heating up .......a silage smell which is actually quite
pleasant and does not last long
This means that the bugs etc in the compost will be killed

If theres other noxious odours then i would suggest your neighbours compost
bins or heap are badly mixed and run