Old 09-03-2004, 07:37 AM
Andrew G

Default Lemon Tree question

"Shaal Gebyy" wrote in message
Hi,

I recently chopped half my lemon tree down.

New shoots are sprouting out of the cuts.

Can I snip these new shoots and grow them in pots ?

Shaal.

If the lemon tree was grafted it doesn't matter whether the shoots are from
the understock, or the graft, it's not worth doing as you will either get no
lemons, or a lemon tree prone to root disease, or with poor roots.
If the original was grown from seed, then you could try it.
Don't just cut the shoot off, but rather take a slither of the wood it's
growing out of with it. Ideally you will end up with a shoot growing out of
a thumbnail type piece of wood.
(I am picturing them as small shoots)

Or you could wait 'till they get larger, about 15-20cm long ,cut them off
just below a leaf, and treat them as a cutting.
Either way, plant them in a well drained propagation mix and dip them in
hormone powder/liquid before planting them, keep the mix moist and so on,
typical of taking a cutting

Good luck with it, and hey, it's worth a try for experimenting.