Old 09-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Shaal Gebyy

Default Lemon Tree question

Hi,

I recently chopped half my lemon tree down.

New shoots are sprouting out of the cuts.

Can I snip these new shoots and grow them in pots ?

Shaal.

Old 09-03-2004, 07:37 AM
Andrew G

"Shaal Gebyy" wrote in message
Hi,

I recently chopped half my lemon tree down.

New shoots are sprouting out of the cuts.

Can I snip these new shoots and grow them in pots ?

Shaal.

If the lemon tree was grafted it doesn't matter whether the shoots are from
the understock, or the graft, it's not worth doing as you will either get no
lemons, or a lemon tree prone to root disease, or with poor roots.
If the original was grown from seed, then you could try it.
Don't just cut the shoot off, but rather take a slither of the wood it's
growing out of with it. Ideally you will end up with a shoot growing out of
a thumbnail type piece of wood.
(I am picturing them as small shoots)

Or you could wait 'till they get larger, about 15-20cm long ,cut them off
just below a leaf, and treat them as a cutting.
Either way, plant them in a well drained propagation mix and dip them in
hormone powder/liquid before planting them, keep the mix moist and so on,
typical of taking a cutting

Good luck with it, and hey, it's worth a try for experimenting.

Old 09-03-2004, 07:37 AM
Lindsay Heinz

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 03:40:29 GMT, Shaal Gebyy wrote:

Hi,

I recently chopped half my lemon tree down.

New shoots are sprouting out of the cuts.

Can I snip these new shoots and grow them in pots ?

Most lemon trees are grafted, your new shoots will grow if initially
planted in pots but will never achieve the status of your original
lemon tree.
--

Lindsay.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Shaal Gebyy

"Lindsay Heinz" wrote in message
On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 03:40:29 GMT, Shaal Gebyy wrote:

Hi,

I recently chopped half my lemon tree down.

New shoots are sprouting out of the cuts.

Can I snip these new shoots and grow them in pots ?

Most lemon trees are grafted, your new shoots will grow if initially
planted in pots but will never achieve the status of your original
lemon tree.
--

Lindsay.

Thanks for your comments.
As Andrew G says, it's worth experimenting.
I think the tree's been there since pre-1950's.
It's getting quite rotten and diseased now, hence it's upcoming removal.
The new shoots look so fresh and clean that I just want to try to grow
another lemon tree from them before I have to chop the rest of the tree
down.
Sort of 're-incarnate' the once majestic tree.
Shaal.

Old 13-03-2004, 11:37 PM
John Savage

"Shaal Gebyy" writes:
I think the tree's been there since pre-1950's.
It's getting quite rotten and diseased now, hence it's upcoming removal.

If some branches are rotting but the main trunk is still healthy, you
can probably cut off those branches and allow the trunk to regenerate.
I'd initially leave some live branches so it has green leaves to keep
feeding the tree until new growth appears, then remove the last of the
decrepit old ones. No guarantees, though.

Sort of 're-incarnate' the once majestic tree.

Yes.

Old 13-03-2004, 11:40 PM
John Savage

"Shaal Gebyy" writes:
I think the tree's been there since pre-1950's.
It's getting quite rotten and diseased now, hence it's upcoming removal.

If some branches are rotting but the main trunk is still healthy, you
can probably cut off those branches and allow the trunk to regenerate.
I'd initially leave some live branches so it has green leaves to keep
feeding the tree until new growth appears, then remove the last of the
decrepit old ones. No guarantees, though.

Sort of 're-incarnate' the once majestic tree.

Yes.

Lemon Tree Advice to a newbie please: Is it wide enough to plant mynew bought lemon tree? [email protected] Gardening 2 25-05-2008 04:22 AM
Lemon-scented something - lemon-scented.jpg Ann Garden Photos 5 07-08-2007 06:09 PM
Lemon Tree Question Matchstick Australia 1 28-04-2004 02:08 AM
Lemon Tree Question Shell91 Gardening 1 28-09-2003 12:02 AM
Meyer lemon tree question Me Gardening 3 06-03-2003 03:15 PM