Old 09-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Janice

Default Is there tomato variety with no seeds?

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 09:28:23 -0000, "David
wrote:

Just THINK.............
".......I was asked if I could plant in my greenhouse a variety of tomato
that does not have seeds........"
"..........I can't find any in my seed catalogues....."

And just where would they get the seed???????????

Ask the folks who developed the seedless watermelons!

They're hybrids, which are a cross with 2 strains which the offspring
of have no seed (or only very small white immature seeds you can eat).
They have to create the hybrid seed each time by making those crosses.
That be the nature of they hybrid beasties, they're produced each year
and so, they're labor intensive and .. so expensive.

Janice

P.S. I haven't seen any seedless tomato offers offhand. I've not done
any searches for any, but in days past I'd seen yellow tomatoes that
looked like a bell pepper and was hollow so you can stuff it, seen
white ones, striped ones, yellow, orange and red pear and plum
tomatoes as well as the regular tomatoes, . beefsteak, .. then there
are the itty bitty currant tomatoes, the size of peas ;-)