Old 08-03-2004, 04:12 AM
Heavenly Scent

Default Is there tomato variety with no seeds?

I was asked if I could plant in my greenhouse a variety of tomato that does
not have seeds. This customer is allergic to tomato seeds and is looking
for this type of plant. I can't find any in my seed catalogues.Let my know.
Tracy

Old 08-03-2004, 04:32 AM
Cereus-validus

You can produce seedless tomatoes by spraying the flowers with a fruiting
hormone rather than letting them be pollinated.

Old 08-03-2004, 09:32 AM
David Hill

Just THINK.............
".......I was asked if I could plant in my greenhouse a variety of tomato
that does not have seeds........"
"..........I can't find any in my seed catalogues....."

And just where would they get the seed???????????

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 08-03-2004, 01:40 PM
Neil Jones

"David Hill" wrote in message
Just THINK.............
".......I was asked if I could plant in my greenhouse a variety of

tomato
that does not have seeds........"
"..........I can't find any in my seed catalogues....."

And just where would they get the seed???????????

--

Genetic modification?

Neil

Old 08-03-2004, 01:48 PM
Neil Jones

Just THINK.............

Old 08-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Salty Thumb

"David Hill" wrote in news:c2hed4
:

Just THINK.............
".......I was asked if I could plant in my greenhouse a variety of tomato
that does not have seeds........"
"..........I can't find any in my seed catalogues....."

And just where would they get the seed???????????

haha, yes you should be looking in your "no-seed" catalogues!

Old 08-03-2004, 03:09 PM
madgardener

"Heavenly Scent" wrote in message
I was asked if I could plant in my greenhouse a variety of tomato that

does
not have seeds. This customer is allergic to tomato seeds and is looking
for this type of plant. I can't find any in my seed catalogues.Let my

know.
Tracy

I understand the humor that the others are experiencing regarding "no seed"
tomato's being in No Seed catalogs, and David pointing out that without no
seeds there could be no tomato's that have no seed, but there IS a lesser
seeded tomato out there. It's a paste tomato that is very dry and fleshy and
resembles a bell pepper. It's called a stuffing tomato. It still has seeds
but the number of them is minute and easily disposed of.

Burpee has these plants and seeds, as does Pinetree seed company. On the
other hand, tell this customer who is highly allergic to tomato seeds that
they have one excellent option they can take. Grow good, hybrid tomato
plants of any variety, and upon harvesting, process the tomato's and remove
the seeds before consuming. It's really easy. Cutting the tomato in half
and scooping the cavities of the mucilage holding the seeds or squeezing the
tomato gently after cutting the stem navel to open up the fruit usually
removes the bulk of the seeds and mucilage encasing them. Once you've
squeezed the most of the liquid, you can slice the tomato open and finger
out the rest of the seeds.

I've watched Marion Morrash formerly on Victory Garden do this for years in
preparation of dishes with fresh tomato's. And seen Emeril do it too, so
it's not hard and much easier to just remove the seeds before consumption
that would cause allergic reactions than seeking out a bland, paste tomato
that still has a few seeds in it. There isn't a truely "seedless" tomato
that I know of. And before anyone flames me, I said that I know of. I'm sure
someone out there has hybridized a tomato that has no seeds and is only
vegetatively propigated. I just don't know of it.

I hope this helps somewhat.
madgardener up on the cold and windy ridge in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7,
Sunset zone 36

Old 08-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Cereus-validus

If there was a sterile triploid tomato that produced seedless fruit, it
could easily be mass produced by tissue culture or even from cuttings.

There is even a method developed for producing false seeds from tissue
explants.

Just THINK.............

Old 08-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Cereus-validus

If there was a sterile triploid tomato that produced seedless fruit, it
could easily be mass produced by tissue culture or even from cuttings.

There is even a method developed for producing false seeds from tissue
explants.

Just THINK.............

Old 08-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Cereus-validus

If there was a sterile triploid tomato that produced seedless fruit, it
could easily be mass produced by tissue culture or even from cuttings.

There is even a method developed for producing false seeds from tissue
explants.

Just THINK.............

Old 08-03-2004, 05:12 PM
FarmerDill

I was asked if I could plant in my greenhouse a variety of tomato that does
not have seeds. This customer is allergic to tomato seeds and is looking
for this type of plant. I can't find any in my seed catalogues.Let my know.
Tracy

Oregon State has developed a series of tomatoes That are parthenogenic and the
crown sets have few or no seeds.Most of them have Oregon in the name. Search
tomato in http://plantsdatabase.com/ Blossom set will also produce seedless
tomatoes.

Old 09-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Janice

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 09:28:23 -0000, "David
wrote:

Just THINK.............
".......I was asked if I could plant in my greenhouse a variety of tomato
that does not have seeds........"
"..........I can't find any in my seed catalogues....."

And just where would they get the seed???????????

Ask the folks who developed the seedless watermelons!

They're hybrids, which are a cross with 2 strains which the offspring
of have no seed (or only very small white immature seeds you can eat).
They have to create the hybrid seed each time by making those crosses.
That be the nature of they hybrid beasties, they're produced each year
and so, they're labor intensive and .. so expensive.

Janice

P.S. I haven't seen any seedless tomato offers offhand. I've not done
any searches for any, but in days past I'd seen yellow tomatoes that
looked like a bell pepper and was hollow so you can stuff it, seen
white ones, striped ones, yellow, orange and red pear and plum
tomatoes as well as the regular tomatoes, . beefsteak, .. then there
are the itty bitty currant tomatoes, the size of peas ;-)