Old 10-03-2004, 12:04 AM
kevins_news2

Default Preparing a garden plot?

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 13:08:58 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 21:11:47 GMT, kevins_news2
wrote:

Last year I started my garden. I removed the sod from two 15'x4'
areas. I dug down about 8" (as far as i could get down with a decent
spade) and tried to loosen up the soil. Its very grey and clayish so
i essentially carved out a spadefull and then chopped at it with the
spade to cut it into smaller chunks. It rained soon after and the
entire thing turned into a very sticky mush.

Clay. Often very nutritious, but lacking organic matter. Compost is
the cure. Just keep digging in compost. And more compost. Timing is
tricky. When the ground's completely dry, it's like cement; when it's
wet, walking on it will further compress the soil (for one entire
season, my clay-based garden plot had a 6" deep footprint at one edge
where I'd stepped when it was mucky). Start your own compost pile
in one corner. Many cities that collect leaves and grass clippings
have finished compost for sale or for free. So-called 'topsoil' is
expensive, particularly in bags, and of variable quality. And you
probably need compost more than dirt. If your soil is alkaline, plain
ol' peat moss will fluff things up and add a little acid.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I did start a compost bin last spring. Although when you're relying
on kitchen scraps to provide the bulk of your green material it takes
a *really* long time to fill. The bin is probably 2.5' wide at the
bottom and by halloween i had probably only accumulated a couple of
inches of kitchen waste, grass clippings and misc brown filler. But
at the end of the season i was able to get in some good layers due to
an overabundance of halloween pumpkins, leaves, and all the leftover
plants i pulled out of the garden. Hopefully this year it will do
some composting.

Dig in compost. check. will do.

Kevin