Old 10-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Mitchell McCreath

Default 2 stroke fuel question

"Andrew G" wrote in message
Hi everyone.
Just wondering if anyone knows the best fuel to use in 2 strokes, whether

it
be lead replacement fuel (LRP) or Unleaded?
Being a car enthusiast I understand all the differences between the 2

fuels
and have heard many pros and cons for both, but basically LRP for old

leaded
fuel cars, and unleaded for the newer ones, or even the optimax, and other
equivalents as long as it's from a well known servo with a high turnover.
Anyway, when it comes to 2 strokes I was wondering if ULP or LRP is best?
LRP does have a lubricant in it, so when adding the oil for 2 stroke, it
could only help.
In general LRP has a higher octane rating (or it did have).
Apart from being cheaper, I can't see any benefits of ULP. There is no cat
converters in 2 stroke exhausts for LRP to harm.
Just wondering if anyone has opinions, or has heard anything?

Thanks in advance.
Andrew

Hello Andew,
I have done a little research into this. Use unleaded
Petrol.
I think that using LRP might cause some pinging etc

USE 2 stroke Oil not Engine type Oil as 4 stroke will
not stay suspended in the Petrol. Also a good
idea is to add the Oil to the can first (200ml oil to 5
Litre of ULP)
For a Lawn Mower, Brush Cutter etc. (25:1)
Half fill with the petrol. Agitate the can then fill her
up.

Then whenever refuelling the engine agitate the can
again to
make sure that the oil is well mixed as the Oil will
gradually
'clump' i.e. form Oil pockets in the Petrol over time.

Cheers,
Mitchell