Old 11-03-2004, 11:04 PM
David Hare-Scott

Default Raised Vegetable Garden Question

"Silvercaster" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
This is my first time building a raised vegetable garden and have
quite a few questions.
The garden is going to be a foot deep underground and a foot above
ground.
The dimentions are going to be 8'x4'.
I'm going to use 2"x12" redwood lumber. It's not treated.

First, and I've heard yes and no to this question, should I treat the
redwood lumber that I am going to build the planter out of? If so,
with what?

Be aware that whatever you treat your timber with will end up in/on your
veges. Personally I would not use any treatment but choose a timber that
was durable in contact with the soil in local conditions.

Google will take you to many informative sites that discuss the durability
of redwood in contact with the soil. From a quick survey it seems that the
right grade may be suitable without treatment. Do you have whiteants
(termites) in your soil? Roughly where are you? How much of the year is it
wet?

Second, what kind of "L" brackets and screws will last the longest?
Should I use galvinized screws and brackets? if not what?

All suggestions will be appreciated.

If you use metal fittings they must be treated to resist rust - as in
galvanising. I would suggest bolts for strength instead of screws. Unless
you brace the middle somehow 8' long planks will tend to bow outwards over
time. With a 2" x 12" this may not be enough to bother you.

You can avoid fittings and fastenings by using stakes about 2in square to
brace the sides. I would use a durable and tough hardwood. If what you
call redwood is the same species I have seen it is quite soft and brittle
and (although moisture and insect resistent) it will make poor stakes as it
will tend to splinter when driven. You can also use steel star pickets that
may be black or galvanised, the latter sort are more expensive but will last
well. You may want to cap these as the tops can be sharp after being driven
with a steel hammer.

David