Old 12-03-2004, 04:02 AM
madgardener

Default Raised Vegetable Garden Question

"Silvercaster" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
This is my first time building a raised vegetable garden and have
quite a few questions.
The garden is going to be a foot deep underground and a foot above
ground.
The dimentions are going to be 8'x4'.
I'm going to use 2"x12" redwood lumber. It's not treated.

Have you already gotten the redwood? There is a composite material at Lowes
that has a lifespan of 75-100 years and comes in landscape timber size
(eight foot long) 4 x 4 and I think a bit larger. Landscape timber size
although roughly $6.37 is cheap considering it will last that long, is safe
and you can drill it or cut it the way you would wood.

Cutting one in half would give you the four foot ends and you drill holes
and put short rebar in to secure them. It sounds like you're double
digging. A great idea. Be sure to work in some leaves with the soil on the
bottom for some slow decaying humus that will hold moisture a bit.

First, and I've heard yes and no to this question, should I treat the
redwood lumber that I am going to build the planter out of? If so,
with what?

If you've already gotten the redwood, I wouldn't treat it.

Second, what kind of "L" brackets and screws will last the longest?

galvanized would work, but you can also secure them with drilling holes and
putting galvanized gutter spikes which are shorter and don't rust at all
and are very affordable. My friend and her husband used those for years as
spikes to hold their three high timber sides on all their raised beds.

Should I use galvinized screws and brackets? if not what?

Like I said, galvanized gutter spikes are the best and cheaper and are about
the right length. I just burnt some old timbers and was able to salvage the
spikes from their timbers because they didn't melt either.!

madgardener zone 7, Sunset zone 36 Eastern Tennessee who has always done
raised and double dug beds because they get a jump on the season and are
easier to work and grow in just be sure to keep a record of who you plant
where and remember to rotate those crops. beans in one end one year with
corn, etc.........and I hope you know with raised beds you can intensely
plant. Tomato's can go as close as 8 inches apart, unless you're using a
concrete wire cage............G (any more questions and I'll gladly
answer them if you holler at me)

All suggestions will be appreciated.